What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to the hangar

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Due to the steep driveway and hilly street I hired a local moving company to move the project.

IMG_9469.JPG

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9497.JPG

Congratulations on the move

Congratulations, Ted! A big day indeed. Your snow in Ohio looks like our snow in North Alabama. Looking forward to the first flight report.

You should have just put skis on it, mounted the engine, and taxied to the airport. ;) Congrats, BTW, I wish I were that far along.

Congrats Ted!

I had a three year head start and it looks we are about the same point. I guess will have a race to see who gets done first this spring/summer. Although, I don't have the luxory of being retired.

bob

Thanks for all your good wishes. My garage ceiling is one foot too low to put landing gears on. There is also no flat spot on my driveway. After rolling out of the garage they (movers) pulled up the fuselage for me to put a sawhorse under, then I installed gears and wheels. This is the first time they moved an airplane. The boss took a lot of pictures. I live fifteen miles (driving) from the airport. They drove very slowly through the hills. It took more than an hour to load, 40 min to drive and 15 min to unload. I moved my RV9A using a 26' U-haul. At the time I lived on flat ground. With the help of my two sons it was not hard to load.

Mike, I did put the nose gear on before I came home. No more taildraggers for me. Tomorrow morning with the help of Wayne Gallispie (his RV10 wings are storage in the T-hangar behind mine) we are going to hang the engine. My wiring are almost done. Pieces of baffle have been assembled and waiting to be mounted. Bob, there is a good chance that I will finish before you:D. Don't have to go to the office does make a difference.

I've got to ask.

How tall is your ceiling and how tall is the highest point (minus Vertical Stab) on an RV-10?

I've measured it, but can't recall.

Congrats on the move!!!

Phil,

My ceiling is only 7' and the garage door opening is 6'10". I did not measure the height after I put the gears on (I will do it today with Wayne's help). I got from Tim's site (myrv10.com) a while ago the height with legs on is a little more than 8'. I did the gear legs and wheel fairings before fitting the cabin top on. It is pretty clear that with the cabin top on there is no room to put landing gears on.

It's 8-11 to the very top of the vertical stab. I can't imagine that the cabin top is 8.

I hope that's not right or I'm going to be getting a hangar sooner rather than later. :(

It's 8-11 to the very top of the vertical stab. I can't imagine that the cabin top is 8.

I hope that's not right or I'm going to be getting a hangar sooner rather than later. :(
I believe we rolled ours out a standard height garage door.

Cabin top height

You guys are right and I was wrong. With engine on the top is 78". My reason should be the garage door opener. Sorry to mislead you.

Engine hung

Wayne came over and helped me hang the engine this morning. It took more than an hour to raise the engine box, attach the engine leveler, get the engine out of the box and put four mounting brackets on. The actual engine mounting took less than half an hour. It is definitely two person job. A friend came over to observe and helped holding some hardware and the light also helps.

IMG_1521.JPG

Here are other pictures of engine hanging:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tc1234c/1152011HangEngine#

Back