What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to New Orleans

My information is a bit dated. I lived there (Slidell) until 2005 and I have visited the airports around there only a couple of times since.

The closest will be L31 (St. Tammany). It is about 3.5 miles east of Abita Springs (nice brew pub there by the way). It was pretty run down when I lived there. No FBO operator most of the time. Locals would fly in there for the relatively less expensive self-serve fuel. A few T hangars but not very nice and not usually any available. You also had to be careful that your hangar wouldn't flood after hard rains.

Then there is Slidell (ASD). Nice facilities. Plenty of tie downs usually available. Some hangars; don't know availability or pricing. While I was there some new hangars were built and I think they were going for around $350 /month. We had an active EAA chapter there. We helped the airport put on an air show each year. We would include homebuilt judging and awards. You would be looking at about a 20 mile ride from the intersection of Causeway and I12. How long it takes you to get to that intersection can vary greatly depending on where in Covington you live. Causeway between Covington and I12 is often very congested. The exit for the Slidell airport off of I12 is the same as for the Slidell Mall. So, it can get somewhat congested; especially during Christmas.

Finally, there is Hammond (HDC). I don't know much about that airport. I would fly in/out of there occasionally. The only advantage over Slidell that I know of is they have multiple runways. The airport would be about 23 miles from the Causeway/I12 intersection.

If you don't mind a little drive you could go over into Mississippi. Right along I10 there is Stennis which is a very nice facility with a long runway. They appeared to have a lot of hangar space when I was there. A little further down I10 is Diamondhead. It is a resort/fly-in community. They have several golf courses, deep water slips, tennis courts, and taxiway lots/homes. You are looking at 40 - 45 miles from the Causeway/I12 intersection for those airports.

Good luck with the move. Let me know when you get established. I might want you to meet me at the airport with about 20 lbs of boiled crawfish I can bring home to my wife. I am trying to keep her from wanting to move back home! :)

Oh, and one other thing. When buying a home consider staying north of I12. That seems to be the dividing line insurance companies use when it comes to worrying about another Katrina like storm. If you look at homes south of I12 be sure to get insurance estimates before making a decision.

Back