What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Michigan

Spindrift

Well Known Member
Hi MI-RVers,

Looks like my company may want me to move to the Grand Rapids area, and I'm trying to figure out what the costs are like there. A few questions:

Does anyone know if you have to pay the 6% use tax on a plane when you move to Michigan?

What do hangars go for in the area?

Any recommendations on where to live that will be close to where I can keep my plane?

Thanks,

I'm out of date on taxes, but there are several small airports close to town besides GRR. Riverview (08C) is on the west side. Sparta on the North, Ottawa Exec (OTX) southwest.

I run into this question a lot WRT boats (yet another tangible personal property). By far your best bet is to call the GR county tax collector for your answer, as they best know the rules and also are the follks who administer them. (These days, many tax collectors have very thorough web sites. Best thing about the websites is that one can print out the A's to the Q's for later reference).

Typically, the taxing authority for tangible personal property in State #2 will consider prior payment of use tax in State #1 as satisfying State #2's use tax obligation, provided #1's tax was at least equivalent to #2's. (You want to hold onto confirmation of use tax payment indefinitely, for just this reason). If Michigan's use tax is higher, then they may assess you the difference.

This issue is different than annual personal property tax, which is yet another tax obligation assessed by some states. Best to get the details from the folks who know the details...

Jack

You won't have to pay a sales tax here provided you have paid it in in another state, can prove it, and it was as high or higher than the 6% MI charges here. You will have to pay a very reasonable airplane registration fee though. For that you also get a yearly sticker for your plane, a nice State Of Michigan sectional, and a if requested a FREE State of MI airport facilities directory. You will have a few airports around the GR area to choose from and as in most cases the hanger fee varies,,,,generaly $100-$300 per month range.

Bill,

EAA Chapter 145 is the GR Chapter. I'm in Chapter 221 in Kalamazoo. There are a few airparks west of GR. Best advice, call Carlos at GRT. He knows everyone in West Michigan! Greg Tolman's RV is at Jenison (08C) as are several other RVs. Nice airport.

Jim Butcher
Europa XS N241BW

Grand rapids area

Bill,

I keep my Cardinal at 8D4, Sparta. We have a fairly active EAA group 704 and a few RV's on the field. There are at least 3 being built in the chapter, my 7, another 7, and a 10.

Depending on where you work, any of the local airports are convenient. I live just North of GR and 5 miles South of Sparta. There are a lot of nice areas depending on if a school makes any difference and if you are going to buy or rent.

Feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Ottawa Executive Z98

Hi Bill,
Send me a message next time you visit the area and I'll show you around. My wife and I live at Z98 on the Airpark in Zeeland. I belong to Grand Haven EAA Chapter 211 but there are several others that are very good. Depending on were you work there are really nice areas near Grand Rapids or out closer to Lake Michigan. I used to live in Ada just northeast of GR, built the airpark home as soon as my youngest was off to college.

Gary K

N715AB
RV-7A

Back