What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Charlotte, NC...

Ken Martin

Well Known Member
My family and I will be relocating to the Charlotte area soon as I have accepted a job with U.S. Airways. We will rent for the first year so we can decide where we want to eventually buy. That being said, any suggestions for suburban areas within a 30 min drive of CLT? I'd like to find a good school for my 12 and 14 year old daughters and plug in with the local RVers/ EAA group.

I was planning to start building a -14 in February, but due to this move I have to push that out a little bit. Helping others might help make that a little more tolerable.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

My family and I will be relocating to the Charlotte area soon as I have accepted a job with U.S. Airways. We will rent for the first year so we can decide where we want to eventually buy. That being said, any suggestions for suburban areas within a 30 min drive of CLT? I'd like to find a good school for my 12 and 14 year old daughters and plug in with the local RVers/ EAA group.

I was planning to start building a -14 in February, but due to this move I have to push that out a little bit. Helping others might help make that a little more tolerable.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Take a look at Gold Hill airpark (nc25). Lots of good neighbors plus George Orndorff lives here as do RV-8 drivers Ron Schreck, Mike Stewart and myself. We also have two RVs under construction so building support is easy to come by. Can't say anything about the local schools (I am 66 and my "little girl" is 36). Gold Hill is about 35 miles NE of Charlotte and the commute at rush hour will be more than 30 minutes but there are a number of lots available as well a couple of houses about to go on the market. Let me know if you would like a show and tell.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

South Charlotte (Ballantyne or Blakeney) is always a good choice with good schools. "30 min from CLT" doesn't really get you very far due to traffic :)

EAA 309 is the chapter around here..

I don't know about the schools, but you might look at River Hills Plantation in Lake Wylie, SC. It is a lovely gated community about halfway between the Rock Hill, SC and Gastonia, NC airports. It has a championship golf course, beautiful club house, tennis club, and large marina with a fuel dock.

A lot of pilots lived there when I was there, from 1991-2002. Back then it was about a 30 minute drive to CLT, not sure what it is now as there has been a lot of development on the SW side of Charlotte.

fort mill

Have a brother that lives in Fort Mill, SC. Nice place, close to the freeway. I believe he told me that it was cheaper to live in SC.

Ken, I live in CLT. I will pm you my number. When you come to CLT I will throw you in the 6 and we can fly to some of the places mentioned.

George

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into each of them and look forward to moving to the area.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks again,

Ken

Balantyne area for living. if you dont want to pay NC taxes, just walk across the sate line to Lancaster, SC. Lots of USAIR pilots in this area and only 12 miles from KCLT.

as for airport to keep and fly your RV consider KLKR. Bill Crother (VAF/original Team RV) still have a couple of personal hangars left. T hangars are dead cheap @ $100 and/or if you want to parking on the ramp, it is just $35 a month.

In the ballantyne area you have several private schools and high achieving public schools like Community road middle school and Ardrey Kell High Schooll. Across the state line you have Indian Land. Across the county line into Monroe County, NC, you have weddington and marvin ridge. All great schools wit a large PTA base

Last edited:
NC has changed over the years. It as become a very highly taxed state. I believe highest in the southeast but don't hold me to that. Take a hard look at SC near Charlotte.

It sounds like there is a really good group of aviation enthusiasts around this area. That will make the move worth it for me.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ken

How about up on gorgeous Lake Norman

14A is on the East side, NC26 Long Island is on the west side in catawba county. We have good access to the CLT airport, about 40 minutes drive time.

It sounds like there is a really good group of aviation enthusiasts around this area. That will make the move worth it for me.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Ken

Lots of rv,s in this area! Lots and lots of formation flying, pancake and bbq runs all over the carolinas. And if you want to fly acro, we have IAC 19 to welcome you! Holla when you are in town, ill be glad to
show you around...forgot...SC property taxes are great! Becareful with NC!

Welcome to CLT!

We are in the process of moving down to SC86 and have been getting our house ready for sale. New paint, kitchen, carpet, wood floors, master bath, etc. all the stuff a buyer wants in this market.

The best part is the basement is no stranger to aircraft building. Take a look at the link in my signature for pictures.

Check your email.

Last edited:
A little father north

I am in the Winston-Salem area (home or Piedmont Airlines) where I worked 23 years with Piedmont/USairways. There are a couple airparks here, one of which I spent 10 years in (6NC8 Marchmont), and now I reside at 8A7,Twin Lakes airport. There are a lot of RVs in the area, however its an hour and a half from CLT airport. There are quite a few pilots living in this area also.

Does anybody know of a room for rent in the South Charlotte area? I need to find an inexpensive place to stay from February through May until the family moves up to join me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Back