What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to airport

zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi all,

We are at an airport! After a few long nights and a very stressful day, the fuselage, wings and major fibreglass sections all made it safely to the airport today.

Web_Img_0474.jpg

Web_Img_0478.jpg

Web_Img_0483.jpg

Such a relief to be have this step done.

Looks like the next month is going to be real busy, tentative inspection planned for mid Jan......

Carl

Plenty of Room

It is a big releif to get to the airport. Now comes the part of getting all the tools out to the hanger. Which ones to leave at home and which need to be at the airport. Then comes the "I need that wrench but it is at home" and eventually you will have everything at the airport. Then when it comes time to do something simple at home you will have no tools there and have to go to a neighbor to borrow a 3/8 socket. Then you start asking for a second set of tools for Christmas.
It looks like you have lots of room to spread out in the hanger.

Yes, the majority of tools are being stacked for the journey on Monday morning. Just the band saw, sander / big stuff staying behind. Hopefully it should be mainly assembly, little 'construction' left.

I'm taking tomorrow off! - sleep and a bit of social are well over due.

The hanger - yes it is HUGE, we have that one bay, there are about 8 bays, two sides.... We are just temporary lodgers - it is the home of the warbirds group ( http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com ) - intersting hanger neighbours!

Carl

How did you do it?

Hi Carl,
Did you use the pictured truck's mounted boom, (crane) to load and unload? Got any pics of the process? It might be helpful to someone who had an off airport landing to see how you attached slings, (straps). It seems most people over here have been using the "sliding bed" trucks to move, but they aren't always available, nor would they work in every situation, such as removing an airplane from soft, muddy, ground.

Joe

Now the fun begins in earnest....

Carl,

Congrats on the move. I made it to the airport last month, and I"ve been a man posessed ever since. After 6 years of building and painting, it's really coming together. Weighed mine yesterday, first engine run today! Woo Hoo.

Enjoy!

Art in Asheville
N666AT RV-8 Fastback

Congratulations Carl!

Does that big hangar come with an internet connection? Cause if it doesn't, I guess I'll have to do more of my share of the moderating over on the GRT Yahoo group, as I expect you'll be living with the airplane until it flies...or at least I would be! And I agree on the tool migration - I found myself trying to fix things at home using kitchen utensils until I finally just bought a new set of stuff (when everything else moved to the hangar).

Enjoy the finishing process!

Paul

Your dual throttle set up

Beautiful job Carl!

I noticed on your web site that you have dual throttles. Do you have any pictures/diagrams of how all that came together?

Thanks
Scott

more info....

Hi Carl,
Did you use the pictured truck's mounted boom, (crane) to load and unload? Got any pics of the process?

Joe

Joe,

The big problem for us was finding a truck with a wide enough bed. The wheel base is 2.3m wide, most of the car trucks are 2.2m (non USA cars / roads :p). Second issue was I wanted a single move - rather than paying for same journey twice - it was tight but it did all fit!

Lifting - I don't have any specific photos - basically it was a soft 5m strop around the center upper section of the engine frame, clipped to the hi-ab. I was a bit nervous about lifting it there - but in the end no problems. The tail was significantly heavier than I expected - estimate 30 kg ish. This is with a C/S prop, 360 etc installed. I wouldn't have wanted the V/S / H/S on as well.

Congratulations Carl!
Does that big hangar come with an internet connection?

And I agree on the tool migration - I found myself trying to fix things at home using kitchen utensils until I finally just bought a new set of stuff (when everything else moved to the hangar).

Enjoy the finishing process!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

'net access - maybe - haven't got that far.... And yes I've told Mum I'll be home for Christmas day ;)

I'll have a problem anyway as 98% of the tools are Dad's - when I return north I'm going to be at square zero....

Beautiful job Carl!
I noticed on your web site that you have dual throttles. Do you have any pictures/diagrams of how all that came together?
Scott

Scott,

In very simple terms - quadrants with push pull cables going all the way to the actuator lever on the engine. Doing it "again" - I'd have quadrant on the left of P1 and a push/pull in the middle of the panel. Have a dig in the cockpit and fwf sections of the website - if there are photos and no words contact me via email.

Regards,

Carl (after a much better nights sleep!)

More photos

This is the lift from the front - I'm still hold / lifting a fair amount here

Web_Img_0418.jpg

The wing cradle was the scary bit to lift - 'next' time I would build the cradle with the sole job of moving the wings safely - the storing during the build is only 20% of their function. The lifting bar helped to keep the lift in the vertical plane rather than pulling the ends in.

Web_Img_0445.jpg

The big challenge was tieing everything down securely....
Web_Img_0474.jpg

Carl

I moved my RV6 from Crosby, TX to Conroe CXO about two weeks ago. Had to pull the wings and cradle them and the fuse on my haul trailer. Everything worked out fine.

By moving to Conroe it saved me driving 420 miles a week, about 12 hours a week driving time, a 2 mile walk to the bathroom everyday through the mud and water. Gave me a full kitchen to use, all the tools you could possibly need, a bathroom 20 feet away and a group of guys that are truly interested in helping with construction questions and building processes.

Oh, and a wireless internet connection, which I can trade stocks on all day and get information. The cost of the hangar space was less than I was paying. I had made this drive for over eighteen months so I could glean the experience & advice of a friend. He gave great advice, but I rarely got to talk with him when needed. This whole experience almost "broke my back" on the project.

Now my wife keeps asking me why I am smiling? Wouldn't you? I learned a very important lesson in all this, never, never, rely on anyone to help you in your building process no matter how good a friend, think out what you are going to do very carefully, then do it. Make your mistakes, then rework if you have to and call your tech counselor often. The advice I got when I was down in Crosby was very good, but came at too high a price, both econonically and emotionally. My friend is a great guy & love him to death, but it just makes it too tough.

I am very proud of my RV6 and very lucky to have EAA Tech Counselors like Paul Dye and Dennis McCright to eyeball my airplane periodically. both of which have a very decerning eye for detail. Support your local EAA.

Back