What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to airport....Help!

ccryan

I have access to a trailer that is 16' x 8'. I'm on the road right now and can't measure the plane myself, and I'm in a little time crunch, so does anyone know if an RV-4,(without the wings obviously), will fit onto this trailer? I do have the tail feathers and engine/prop on it as well. Any measurements you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. It's an open flat top trailer by the way. Thanks in advance!

Chris Ryan

I have access to a trailer that is 16' x 8'. I'm on the road right now and can't measure the plane myself, and I'm in a little time crunch, so does anyone know if an RV-4,(without the wings obviously), will fit onto this trailer? I do have the tail feathers and engine/prop on it as well. Any measurements you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. It's an open flat top trailer by the way. Thanks in advance!

Chris Ryan

An RV-10 can almost fit on that trailer so I don't think you should have any problems.

Hi Chris....

I just measured my buddy's -4. It's a little under 15' from the mains to the tailwheel.

Regards,

Thanks Pierre. I called my wife and she's having a rough day with the little one and was in no mood to go to the garage to measure for me. So I guess I'm all set to move to the airport tuesday! Very exciting. My next post will be a question as to how the @#$% you put those bolts throught he spars!!

Thanks again!!

Chris Ryan

An extra hint.

If you have the elevators and rudder installed, tie them securely. Wind from a passing 18 wheeler can do a lot of damage.

Here's a pic of an RV-4 we moved last year on a 18' tiltbed trailer.

MikesRV4005.jpg

and from behind going down the road.

MikesRV4011.jpg

I've seen that pic of the RV being towed like a trailer many times and I love it!! I only wish I had the resources to have a hitch attachment made. I'll be able to make the move on mostly back roads at no speed above 30mph.

On another note. Does anyone have any good pics/advice on how they secured their wings for the move? Thanks again.

Chris Ryan

Well, 19 days after the move to the airport and I'm doing my inspection today. Weight came in at 937 pounds.

Engine runs went great after I changed out the high pressure pump that was thrown in on the engine deal that shot gas all over the ramp on the first start through my carb.

Unfortunately I have to start a 4 day trip tomorrow so the first flight will be put off for a bit but it's good to hit such a milestone. I'll post some pics later, but it's not painted yet, so don't expect much!

Wish me luck!

Chris Ryan

Back