What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

moving on

shiney

Well Known Member
I'm pleased to tell you that my inspector has signed off my wings, everything is finished and they are ready to move into the storage. The fuse (QB) will be moved into the garage this weekend and then the real fun starts!

A question on mating the wings, is it best to mate them during the fuse build stage or is it advisable to mate them when everything gets moved to the airfield for final assembly and final inspection?

Thanks

Martin

It appears to be a matter of personal preference. I know some people who've waited until late in the process, and others (like me) who do it by the order on the instructions. Mating them as per the instructions, however, will allow you to fit the flaps and make the cutout for the hole in the fuselage and test them out. But beyond that, offhand, I can't think of any penalty for waiting until later.

Thanks for that Bob. How did you get your police mug shot on the forum? I've looked to update my profile but can't see where to load it!:)

Bob's right. Personal preference. I'd rather have it all mated up relatively early in the process...the FIRST time it goes together. Drill the rear spar, get the fuel & vent lines at least mocked up if not completed, mark all your wing root fairing holes, rig up the flaps & their pushrod holes.

Then it all comes apart so you can clean up the rear spar holes, prime in there if you feel it's worth it, clean up the flap pushrod hole, etc.

When you finally go to the airport, it's one (or 10) fewer thing(s) to do. Bolt it back together and get it inspected. The more you do at home (assuming you're building at home) the better. If you have a setup that just won't allow you to mate the wings at home, no sweat...you can do it later at the hangar.

Thanks for that Bob. How did you get your police mug shot on the forum? I've looked to update my profile but can't see where to load it!:)

Edit your profile again and on the left side column you'll see something like "Settings". At the bottom where it says "Edit Avatar," click that. I think it has to be 80 x 80 or some such thing.

Back