What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving my RV backwards

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
In the last few months I have left my towbar to gather cobwebs.
I have been gently pushing the tail down at the junction of the vertical and horizontal. It doesn't take much force on my 9A. I then simply sit on the horizontal and the plane feels like it is just about at the balance point... like a nice nose up landing. Walking backwards is then simple and turns are easy.
Is there a reason I should not use this method? I do have the antisplat reinforcement in the tail... but from the forces applied, I don't think I am applying any more than in-flight maneuvers would push on those surfaces.
If I am mistaken.... feel free to correct me with replies here. Have a great Sunday as well.

I don't think I am applying any more than in-flight maneuvers would push on those surfaces.

I disagree. You are applying unbalanced and concentrated force on a structure designed to have load applied evenly over the entire surface.

Practice pushing the plane back without a tow bar. You will soon get the hang of doing this without the nose wheel cocking over.

Carl

I disagree. You are applying unbalanced and concentrated force on a structure designed to have load applied evenly over the entire surface.

Practice pushing the plane back without a tow bar. You will soon get the hang of doing this without the nose wheel cocking over.

Carl

I have to push back after every flight and you will get good at it pretty quick. I made a towbar, but is easy enough that I don't bother getting it out of my trunk.

Larry

Back