What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moved to the Airport

Steve A

Well Known Member
Moved to the LFT airport today. Interesting trip, I was as nervous as having a new baby, at least what any male can perceive it is like to have a baby. The
tow truck driver informed me that he had never picked up a new plane before, only broken one's. I did not want to get into that.

I saw Roberta Hegy sold her plane and I wanted to tell her I painted my plane similar to her's. She did not have as many problems as I did. Paint in South Louisiana dries fast.

Now I want to finish up the wings and then get it inspected and what happens next. My wife is ecstatic as she has not put her car in the garage for three years. And we have a four car garage. Old RV LAW: project fills all available space.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A Finishing

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rvmovingtoairport160yv9.jpg

Be Careful

That is a transition in the build process for sure. You are no longer just a dreamer working in his garage. This is the point where things like risks get very real - especially firewall forward. Probably a few months from now, when you pull back on the stick there is an instant that is absolutely electric when the mains lose contact with the ground. Few people ever get the opportunity to experience the sensation that the builder/pilot feels at that instant. Enjoy!

Bob Axsom

Now things get serious

That is a transition in the build process for sure. You are no longer just a dreamer working in his garage. This is the point where things like risks get very real - especially firewall forward. Probably a few months from now, when you pull back on the stick there is an instant that is absolutely electric when the mains lose contact with the ground. Few people ever get the opportunity to experience the sensation that the builder/pilot feels at that instant. Enjoy!

Bob Axsom

THanks for the wise advice. I have 1.5 hours of transition yet to receive, I could not finish the last time the five hours so I am going back which is a good thing because it has
been six months since the initial session. I have contacted Mike Stewart to come fly the first flight. I am more excited as he will inspect it thoroughly to say the least. We don't have a EAA chapter here so having that one last inspection just before flight seems like a good idea.

One other thing that is working for me, initially I was going to be at a small grass strip but it did not seem prudent to fly off a grass strip on the first flight. I am now at Lafayette regional with an 8000 ft runway. They have all the bells and whistles if something goes wrong.

Steve Anderson
RV 7A
Lafayette La.

Back