What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moved to the airport, love you guys but

Rick S.

Well Known Member
Ok...finally have the wings, fuselage, tail parts, tools, new home away from home...unpacked the boxes, all organized..ready to work...then "Hey is that an RV-10???" In the last week I've given so many tours that you would think the Spruce Goose was in my hangar!!:D...Thank goodness I was unpacking boxes and getting everything in it's place and not mixing epoxy. Is this some sort of right of passage when the hangar you own is finally filled with an airplane that is YOURS and not a renter?...Oh yeah...I had to provide some .32 safety wire and lend my safety wire pliers out today...guess that's my initiation, but hey...all the tourists said it looked great..now that's something nice to hear..now if you guys don't mind, I have an airplane to finish!!! Sorry, but with the weather so nice, I can't keep the door closed and hide..So, if you're in the neighborhood...at least I can offer a nice cold bottle of water!! Is this how it goes at every airport?

I'm a week behind you

I'm right behind you. Everything moved in except the plane (paint shop).
Don't forget a small fridge, jar of peanut butter and some crackers.

As I was moving in, I met a bunch of nice folks. Ended up with about 8 phone numbers that said to call them when I need help hanging the wings.

CRACKERS!!! I knew I forgot something!!! I have my old home fridge in the hangar...losts of room there...but Peanut butter and crackers...that genius!!, and my favorite. I was thinking Microwave and TV dinners...go figure..gotta stick to the KISS method.

Back when I moved to the airport, I moved the four-wheeled RV out to my hangar, took a week off work, and did most of the "get ready to fly" stuff in that week. It's amazing how many fewer visitors you have Monday thru Friday versus the weekend, or evenings.....

Paul

Back when I moved to the airport, I moved the four-wheeled RV out to my hangar, took a week off work, and did most of the "get ready to fly" stuff in that week. It's amazing how many fewer visitors you have Monday thru Friday versus the weekend, or evenings.....

Paul

Yea, your pretty anti-social at times. I've been meaning to talk to you about that... ;)

Karl

Yes same here

Took an entire week to get it prepped.

and had a crew to help me put the wings on.

One of the guys was in a wheelchair..i still owe him a ride but haven't figured out how to get him in and out of the airplane.

The FBO guys have said they would help me with maybe a forklift with extensions and some kind of harness.

Anyone have any experience with this??

Frank

5 minute rule

Jay Pratt taught me a good method that works, Rick (and congrats BTW). "We can visit for 5 minutes, but after that you have to help clean" (you say semi-smiling....broom next to door). Most folks don't realize they are overstaying....they're so darn happy to be around a RV :).

These planes do draw attention!

b,
d

Hiding out

Winter tactic: I would park my van behind my hangar then keep the hangar doors closed. This worked on the would-be visitors driving 35 mph on airport road.
Summer tactic: Put camo netting over the van. Keep a visitor broom handy.
Year round ploy: Keep a cigar burning and room temp beer on hand. "C'mon over for an ambient one!"
Steve

Back