What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move without main wheels

jsenft

Well Known Member
I need to remove the main wheels from my RV-12 to fit the gear through my basement door. Has anyone found a good way to move the airplane without the axles or wheels?

Furniture dollys

I used furniture dollys with some parts of shipping crates added and carpet covered. (Northern tool for $8 each), then put the gear legs and wheels on as it cleared my basement door.
photo+1.JPG

In this one you can see the dolly a little
IMG_2168.JPG

I need to remove the main wheels from my RV-12 to fit the gear through my basement door. Has anyone found a good way to move the airplane without the axles or wheels?

I am about done with the fuselage in my garage and need to move it to the airport to connect the tail piece so I have been thinking about this.

My current plan is to bolt 2X4s and a spacer on each side of the center channel using the landing gear bolt holes so that one 2X4 extends out the wheel wells. I then plan to attach 2X4 carry arms along each side of the fuselage with four hand grips. The carry arms should have four "feet" to hold the fuselage off the ground and positioned for conversion to a work dolly.

Does this sound reasonable?

Jeff

I have in the past used moving blankets as a "sling" to lift the tail. For the airframe sans engine perhaps adding carry poles to the sling might work.

Last edited:
hi I bolted two wheels off a lawn mower on to the inside of the gear legs and used these to wheel it around

Bill, LOL. I will take that up with my wife. ...... Oh wait, I do like sleeping inside.

Jim

If it's a matter of a few inches, try to replace the wheels with casters bolt on the inboard side of the landing gear (I have a friend who plans to do that after measuring his basement door).

Back