What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

mounting toggle switches

jimgreen

Well Known Member
Getting close to wiring my panel. I'm using standard toggle switches.
Any recommendations on mounting the switches? I'm planning to use star washers.
Looks like you need to get a wrench on the slim nut behind the panel to get it good and tight. Hand tightening the knurled nut on the front doesn't seem to be an option. However, there isn't a lot of room to swing a wrench.

My switches had hex nuts for both sides of panel and an internal star washer. As a suggestion you could put the knurled nut behind the panel, adjusting it as necessary for panel thickness and use the star washer and hex nut on the outside - a lot easier to tighten.

I used toggle switchs with a knotched keyway and matching washer with a protruding tab on it. When you drill the hole in your panel for the switch, you can add a backing plate that along with a matching hole for the switch, incldues a 2nd small hole that captures the tab on the washer. This locks the toggle switch and washer in place, preventing rotation. The switches and washers are available from B&C electrical. As an alternative to the backing plate, you can drill the small hole for the washer tab in your panel. If you do it from the back, and be careful not drill all the way through, it will be invisible from the front.

erich

Thanks for the replies. I am always surprised by the variety of solutions guys come up with. In the interest of getting it in the air I'm going to put the nut on the face. I can always make it pretty later.

Back