What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting tail feathers

Bill Britton

Well Known Member
I'm almost to the point in my build where I'm ready to mount the HS and VS to the tailcone. To those of you who have gone ahead with this step by step in the instructions, how well was the tail section squared and leveled with the wings when you finally got the tailcone mounted to the fuse with the wings on? To put it simply, to get things squared and leveled best do I need to wait until the tailcone and fuse are joined and the wings installed before mounting the HS and VS??? Also, it looks like the aft deck is one of my last chances to get any twist out of the tailcone if there is any. Is it safe to go ahead and rivet it on also. I assume that since Vans wrote the instructions the way they did I can go ahead and follow the instructions step by step but I want to know how far off things might be if I do so!!! I really don't want to have to drill out a bunch of rivets later on and shim the HS or VS!!!

Thanks
Bill Britton

PS. For those matronics users, sorry about the double post. I posted on matronics list several days ago and only got one response. One is good but I'd like to hear from a couple other guys before I steam on!!!

Hi Bill,
Your question was (partially) addressed in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=26390

For the reasons you mentioned......I waited....and would do the same again. Others have followed the plans as you described....I'd guess that they are happy with their decision.

I'm almost to the point in my build where I'm ready to mount the HS and VS to the tailcone. To those of you who have gone ahead with this step by step in the instructions, how well was the tail section squared and leveled with the wings when you finally got the tailcone mounted to the fuse with the wings on? To put it simply, to get things squared and leveled best do I need to wait until the tailcone and fuse are joined and the wings installed before mounting the HS and VS??? Also, it looks like the aft deck is one of my last chances to get any twist out of the tailcone if there is any. Is it safe to go ahead and rivet it on also. I assume that since Vans wrote the instructions the way they did I can go ahead and follow the instructions step by step but I want to know how far off things might be if I do so!!! I really don't want to have to drill out a bunch of rivets later on and shim the HS or VS!!!

Thanks
Bill Britton

PS. For those matronics users, sorry about the double post. I posted on matronics list several days ago and only got one response. One is good but I'd like to hear from a couple other guys before I steam on!!!

Back