What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Steps Set Screw/Bolt

Lynnb

Well Known Member
So I'm looking at mounting the steps and have read all about inserts, larger bolts and access panels. My main concern is keeping them tight, I've seen at least one plane where the steps have become loose. I was wondering what the group thought of just adding another screw or bolt off to the side that is tapped and threaded through the mount and step just to lock the step in place. I wouldn't drill all the way through. I am working on a QB so Van's has already drilled the main hole, might take it to AN4 as others have suggested as well, thoughts?

20160430_122915.jpg

Thank's Bob. Are you using these and do you have the loose step issue? I'm not an engineer, but I just don't see how this bushing would tighten up step, or work any better than just cross drilling. I was going with the step screw idea since I have a QB and the odds of me drilling for a cross bolt and getting the hole straight are pretty slim.

Thanks.
Lynn

Just ordered some myself. Waiting on Vans though to send me the AN3-20A bolts, apparently they were supposed to be installed to hold the temporary bar on the quickbuild, but on mine they used a couple wood screws.

Lynnb,

The step loosens because the bolt crushes the tube, loosing tension. Adding the insert provides support to the tube allowing the bolt to stay tight.

Back