What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting RV-10 door - help

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I'm working on fitting the doors to the cabin top and the index holes are worthless so I am trying to figure out how/where to center the doors in the openings. I've figured out a way to measure the "lip" on the door all the way around that would be left if I trimmed the doors to fit right now. What I need to know is how much "lip" is left on the top, bottom, fore, and aft sides of the doors on a finished -10. In other words, is there more at the top or bottom, fore, or aft? I have them where they fit the contours of the cabin top very nicely and there is between 1/2" and 1" lip all the way around. The largest is at the top: 3/4" to 1" but I need to know if that is how they are supposed to fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used the index dimples in the proper rivet holes and got an even flange all around. Double check that your door tabs are drilled at the true dimple & your using the right rivet holes.

index holes off

I have the pink canopy and doors, and the aft index holes mated up pretty well, but placed the door in different places between left and right doors. The forward index holes were about 4 rivets higher than the hole that had been left open so I couldn't use those at all. I guess I'll have to just adjust manually to get an even flange all the way around the doors. I've got it set pretty well right now, but we'll see how they trim out.

Index holes, inner and outer doors

I am just getting started on fitting doors. Drilled the index holes (the little dimples on the tool side of the doors) in the inner and outer doors, trimmed them to print... did some sanding...

Then, I find the index holes do not line up. I can get maybe two per door to line up and probably not the right two. In worse case they can be misaligned 1/4".

I have tried clamps to make sure there was no warp causing the problem. Recheck to see if I just missed the dimple. I can't find where I did anything wrong.

I think I can work around this, but I would like to find out if others found the same thing.

Thanks

Door fit

Just as Bryan posted.. when you go to cleco your door skins to the fuse, One,make sure your cabin top is bolted to fuse in place as you would on final install and Two DO NOT use the two fore and aft dimple index to fix the doors to the fuse during epoxy fit. I found the indicator dimples to be aprox 3/16 to high on the door on ours. You will find the doors will be too low when you go trim to the cabin top opening. I did this on left door and had to roll the complete door up to get adequate clearance between the lower jam and door. You don't want this as you formed the door to fit the cabin top curve. Right side we built spacers for the lower and sides to fit between the jam and door inner ledge. Remember to add the door skins thickness dim to the spacer as the door needs to drop down to be flush with the cabin top when you trim door to fit the opening. This will also ensure that Seans latch will clear the lower jam when you install them. Hope this makes sense....I almost threw away the left door after I realized what I did.

Back