What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting Radio Trays

tomcostanza

Well Known Member
So I have some radio trays (steel) to mount in the panel. I planned to use aluminum angle, riveted to the panel. The trays are dimpled, to accept flat head screws. That implies that the angles will need to be countersunk to accept the dimple. I don't think I can rivet the angles to the panel, and then put the trays in, because the dimples won't get past the angle. If I rivet the angles around the trays, I don't think I will ever be able to remove the trays without drilling out at least one of the angles.

Am I missing something? I could use screws to mount the angle(s), but I see from most builders' web sites that the angles are riveted to the panel.

Any thoughts?

Regards and thanks,

I don't understand your situation

Tom,
I mounted my two radios "as per OEM instructions" and hardware. I used angles riveted to the panel. The radios slide in and out easily. No countersinking needed

The angles do NOT need to be countersunk. The dimples will sit ON the angles. There is no reason for the trays to sit flush onto the angles.

Thanks for the explanations and the photos. I don't have OEM instructions because I purchased used radios. I'll follow your recomendations and I'm sure it will be fine.

Clear skies,

BTW, it is a good practice to install a vertical support on the back (sides)of the radio trays. If possible attach them to the glare shield or as an alternative attach them diagonally from the top tray to the bottom. Adds a lot of ridigity to the avionics rack.

Back