What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting MOLLE gear in your RV?

Thermos

Well Known Member
Patron
I'd like to mount a couple of pieces of MOLLE-equipped gear in my cockpit, including an ASEK survival knife. Anybody else used MOLLE stuff in your airplane? If so, how did you attach it to the interior?

Thanks in advance -

Dave

It's a pretty remote chance that a wolverine would hide in the baggage compartment while you're parked beside a bush strip, so I'm assuming this gear would not be needed in flight. Using that assumption, I'd put that gear in a pocket behind the seats. If you don't have pockets there, it would be pretty easy to mount stuff there. There would be little risk of it flying around in the event of an off-airport landing, and it wouldn't be taking up otherwise useful space. Just my two cents...

My tech counselor recommended a canopy cracker/seat belt cutter combo tool that I installed in a holder on the front spar cover. I can reach it between my knees, even if the plane were to find itself upside down. But it's not in the way of any kind of normal movement, ingress or egress.

... I'm assuming this gear would not be needed in flight. Using that assumption, I'd put that gear in a pocket behind the seats.
Thanks David. Actually, the ASEK is designed to be a canopy breaker as well as a knife so that's why I want it within easy reach. Where on the spar cover did you mount your breaker?

Thanks!

Dave

Mine came with a plastic bracket that holds the tool via a snap-in fit. That bracket is mounted with nut plates on the thin rectangular metal cover that hides the fuel lines and some wiring runs just forward of the wing spar. I had to look carefully before locating those mounting holes to ensure that it wouldn't chafe or contact anything underneath the cover plate. I also had to make sure I could reach it without taking the seat belt off as well. I looked back through my photos, but i don't have a good shot of that. I'll be at the airport tomorrow and can take a pic or two if you'd like.

Back