What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting location for tail strobe power supply...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I bought the AeroFlash strobe and position light and power supply. I'm wondering where to mount the power supply. Does anyone have suggestions or even pictures of where they mounted their tail strobe power supply?

Thanks,
Michael-

Michael,

I haven't mounted mine yet. In fact, I haven't even purchased it yet. But I installed these nice brackets that Vans sells just for this purpose, and for the ELT, if you choose to.

100_6674%20(Small).JPG

I installed a pair of them right behind the baggage bulkhead, one for the power supply, and the other one for the ELT:

100_6675%20(Small).JPG

What about on the aft deck...

I have one of those Bruce for my ELT. I could get another for the strobe power supply. But I'm wondering if anyone has installed it on the aft deck. (below the horizontal stabilizer).

I'm wondering about CG. The power supply weighs 1.1 lbs. I'm going with a catto fix pitch prop, O-320, so will be light in the front.

But it would still be nice to mount the power supply in the back if it would be acceptable from a CG standpoint.

Michael-

Change in CG

Based on the information from the weight and balance chapter in the manual I did the following calculation to see what the difference in CG would be.

I used the following formula to calculate the change in CG due to placing the strobe in different positions, where moment is the moment due to the strobe power supply:

Change in CG = moment/gross weight

Also in these calculations I used a typical gross weight from the manual of 1750 lbs

If mounted on the aft deck (about 210" from the dataum), under the HS, the change in CG is 0.137"

0.137" = (210" x 1.14 lbs)/1750 lbs

If mounted behind the baggage compartment bulkhead (about 140" from the datum) the change in CG is 0.091"

0.091" = (140" x 1.14 lbs)/1750 lbs

So if I mount the power supply on the aft deck rather than behind the baggage compartment bulkhead, the CG for a typical setup would move aft 0.046".

That seems insignificant. I can live with that.

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Thanks,
Michael-

I bought the AeroFlash strobe and position light and power supply. I'm wondering where to mount the power supply. Does anyone have suggestions or even pictures of where they mounted their tail strobe power supply?

Thanks,
Michael-

You might consider underneath the baggage area floor, also. This has been discussed around here a few times. I recently moved mine from the aft deck to there, to bump my O320 Fixed Pitch -6's CG a bit forward. I just cut an opening far forward on the inboard baggage area bay, just behind the flap bar, and attached the power supply upside down to the cover plate. Of course folks have done more elaborate mounts in the same location, with hinged doors and stuff. Give it a good searching here in the forums.

-jon

Back