What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting ELT & Strobe Power Supply

N858JK

I've just finished all the pre-assembly work on the center section seat ribs. While reading some other builder sites, I noticed a few folks have mounted their ELT and anti-collision lighting power supply under the baggage compartment floor under small hatch covers that they fabricated. I like this idea but wanted to hear other opinions regarding this and other locations folks have chosen to mount these subsystems.

My question is partially prompted by the fact that my quick build wing kit is shipping in August and so I am trying to finish saving enough money in anticipation of the invoice. Spending nearly a thousand dollars now, or more if I opt for the 406 MHz ELT, puts a big hit in the money saved up to pay for the wings. Other equally as acceptable mounting locations may delay the need to buy the ELT and strobes at this point in time.

Thanks in advance.

We mounted our ELT right behind the pass seat ... in case of crash you could quickly get it out.

The strobe power supplies are mounted in the wing tips ... they are bolted to the last rib.

ELT and Strobe power locations

I mounted my strobe power supply (one supply for all lights) under the baggage floor skins. I made those skins removable (platenuts/screws). The mount is a couple of angles riveted to the floor ribs - place off the floor with enough room to use platenuts/screws to hold the power supply down.

I put my ELT on the rear shelf between the HS spar and the last fuselage bulkhead. It is accessable by removing the rear fairing. I considered mounting it under the baggage floor, but it needs a reasonably solid mount. The instructions call for a max deflection for 100 lb force of 1/16" I think. To make it reasonably accessable would require an access plate in the floor skin (I don't consider removable floor skins 'accessable' - they are a pain to remove). So that would require more design/fab effort, and weight, than I was willing to spend.

ELT behind passenger seat on seat floor.

Strobe power supply behind baggage bulkhead on skin.

Decided to wait on a 406 ELT until prices fall in several years resulting from increased demand and competition.

Jekyll

Mounted my strobe PS behind pilot seat, mounted ELT high and behind bagage compartment bulk head. Ascess to ELT through bulkhead quick release rear inspection door.

Larry N72NJ

Mounting ELT and Strobe Power Supply

Thanks guys for all the great responses. I also called Vans this morning just to see what they might recommend. For the strobe power supply they suggested a plate of .025 or .032" aluminum spanning across, and pop riveted to, the 2 J-stringers, on one side or the other of the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead. Platenuts can be used to mount the power supply to the plate, obviously before it is pop riveted to the stringers!

Their suggestion on the ELT was to use the elevator bellcrank rib as one of the main structural components for the mount. It would be strong enough, and access would be through the baggage compartment bulkhead. But I also like the idea of mounting it behind the passenger seat, on the floor. Seems simple and accessible.

In any case, it sounds like the purchase of both can wait a while. Good news. Thanks again, everyone, for sharing your ideas.

Ray

I am not able to picture exactly where this location is as described, "strobe power supply they suggested a plate of .025 or .032" aluminum spanning across, and pop riveted to, the 2 J-stringers, on one side or the other of the fuselage behind the baggage bulkhead."

If anyone has a picture I would appreciate it. Also, where did you run the heavy cable out to the wings and tail from this location?

Strobes......

Cleve and Ray,
As you probably know, you don't have to have an ELT until after phase one testing when two occupants will be in the plane. Technically, only one person at a time will be in the airplane until then. We mounted our power pack behind the pilot, under the baggage floor to a plate supported by two angle aluminum strips rivetted to the floor ribs. Go through to the tunnel area via a grommet and anchor it to the sides with clips, away from the elevator pushrod.

A convenient place for the ELT is on the passenger side in the baggage area with the antenna mounted on the flap housing back plate.

Back