What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting a "Lipstick" Video Camera outside the cockpit

LotharK

I'm New Here
Santa brought me a "lipstick" video recorder also known as a POV (point of view). The camera head is about 2 inch long and ~ 3/4 inch in diameter therefore called a lipstick. A cable connects from the lipstick (lens) to the recording unit which has also a screen so one can see what is recorded. The unit is the POV 1.5 manufactured by V.I.O. from Marquett, Michigan. These units are popular with skydivers, skiers, bikers, off road car racers etc. It has a 720 X 480 resolution. Mounting the unit on a test drive going through the neighborhood the resolution is good, though unknown for a distance.
Here are my questions:

A) Where to mount to mount the "lipstick" outside (not inside the cockpit) and outside of the propeller disk.
B)
B) Shall I use a wide angle110 degree lens or a 70 degree lens?
Right now I can exchange the lense or return the entire unit.

Thanks, Lothar RV-6A from Colorado

Video Platform

I have a temporary mount for lipstick cam which rides on angle plate ... hanging on wing to body fairing (two of the sheet metal screws). Belly cam is secured by cushion clamps. It can be mounted forward or backward ... at different vertical angles. The cam power and signal wire is fed up through the flap pushrod hole... to the recording deck in the rear pit.

Sample is on YouTube, "Water Music" and at the very end, I show the camera mount.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrcAXn8fIWQ

If your media recorder can also capture audio input, you might put a splitter in the rear pit audio phone jack... and record the interphone or ATC stuff.

If you search "johntmey" on YouTube, the whole collection is there.

John Meyers Harmon Rocket II N5800

Mounting a camera outside the cockpit

Hello,

We offer a very aerodynamic housing that can be mounted outside the cockpit. We supply this mount in black or white ABS plastic.

POD Camera Mount sm.jpg

Tim
www.Motocam360.com

Back