What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mount for iPad Mini

markserbu

I designed this in SolidWorks and even though I modeled the iPad as accurately as I could, I still couldn't get all the cutouts in the print to line up as expected. Close enough, though. I initially 3D printed the hinges, too, but they didn't survive the pop riveting process so I machined them out of aluminum.

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0897.JPG

IpadMount.JPG

Mark, what is the resolution of your FDM machine? Curious.
It looks beefy strong for sure. I have only a PFD so my iPad mini, if I can find it, will be over there somewhere as well. I like this solution more than many others.

Is that a "Florida sun proof" ABS print or a winter prototype in PLA?

I know on my printer I have to manually account for thermal expansion to get large dimensions to line up.

Thermal expansion of plastic works out to only 1-2% for cooling from the print temperature, but that is still around an eighth of an inch for something 8 inches long.

I have a Bambu Lab X1 Carbon. Not sure how fine the resolution goes, but I think I printed this at .16mm.

I printed this in ABS. I don't think thermal expansion is the reason for some of my misalignments, as some fairly tight dimensions (like the pocket size) came out perfectly.

That's really awesome. Are you sharing the 3D design to print? I'm sure many of us would like to donate to the cause and print out own.

Back