What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

motor mount?

danny

Well Known Member
Hi folks,
got a question that I may already know the answer to.......is the motor mount (dyna I) for the O-360 the same as the O-320?
I'm at the point in my build where I'm ready to order the mount but am still looking for the right deal on a 360. Thanks ahead of time!
btw, you guys have no idea (ok, I bet you do) how helpful and informative this site has been.
thanks again
danny

Not so fast...

I think Danny is referring to the welded motor mount that Vans supplies for the 320 and 360 series engines. It is my understanding that the mounts are different to account for the weight differences of the engines. Basically the 320 holds the engine further forward than the 360. So while you may be able actually bolt up the 360 to a 320 mount, it may be too far forward according to Vans W&B design. I'm happy to be corrected if wrong.

Bevan

I had the long mount with my O-290 (same mount as used for the O-235). It was a full 12" from the firewall to the mount ring.

With the new mount I have for my O-360, there is only 10" between the ring and the firewall.

If someone could measure the distance on their O-320 mount, that will give you the answer you are looking for.

motor mount

I think Danny is referring to the welded motor mount that Vans supplies for the 320 and 360 series engines.

Exactly, sorry if I wasn't very clear but I need to order a mount from Van's and since I'll be putting an O-360 on a 9 I wan't to be sure to get the correct mount. I won't get a motor for a while but I'm really anxious to see my project on wheels!
thanks
danny

0-360 on a 0-320 mount

The 0-320 engine mount is 2" longer than the 0-360 mount has some affect on cg,but doesn't cure the aft cg problem of the 7, The problem with the 0-360 on a 0-320 mount is the aft end of the cowl may not be long enough and you are looking at more fiberglass work, I think Sam James will work with you on this.

The 0-320 engine mount is 2" longer than the 0-360 mount has some affect on cg,but doesn't cure the aft cg problem of the 7, The problem with the 0-360 on a 0-320 mount is the aft end of the cowl may not be long enough and you are looking at more fiberglass work, I think Sam James will work with you on this.

No need to do this. Van's also makes a longer cowl for the small engine guys. The O-235/290 cowl I had with my longer mount (The O-290 is about the same length as the O-320/360.) was much longer than I needed and IIRC, I still trimmed about three or four inches from it.

Just tell Van's what you want to do and they will sell you the correct mount and cowl.

Back