What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More priming questions

togaflyer

Well Known Member
First, I would like to thank all the builders who take the time to share their knowledge and experiences. It provided excellent information as I evaluated the decision to build or not. With that, I have just received my QB kit. I noticed that the wings, flaps, and ailerons lack corrosion protection on the inside. Before I begin the empennage, I still plan to primer the parts prior to assembly. Some local builders have recommended wash primer, others, the zinc chromate cans. I would like to keep it simple, but effective. What say you. Thanks

Rattle can

Use a rattle can primer. It's easier and dries fast.
My preference is SEM self etch. Bonds really well.

IMO, and it's just that and not a statement of fact, I'd steer clear of wash primers for corrosion protection. I know Van's has used it in the past (and maybe continues to) but to the best of my knowledge wash primers tend to be permeable and are designed to be a base for a top coat and offer little to no corrosion protection by themsleves. In other words, their designed function is to help the paint stick and any corrosion protection is incidental.

With that, I have just received my QB kit. I noticed that the wings, flaps, and ailerons lack corrosion protection on the inside.

Rich:
As I mull QB vs non QB on the 9A that I building I want to confirm something on yours. Are you saying there is no wash primer of any kind on the interior surfaces inside the wings? Can someone else confirm that this is the case on other QB (9 or any other model would be fine). I assumed that the wash primer for better or worse was used on all interior surfaces.

Hmmmmm... might make it more appealing to go slow build so that at least some protection other than the alclad could be put on. Maybe not as big a deal as I am thinking as saving the time with a QB seems the way to go for me.

For my EMP I am using the SEM as well as the NAPA self etch rattle cans.

Last edited:
First, are you sure there's nothing? The wash primer the QB guys use is hard to see. Second, without good access to scuff and clean, I think you will have adhesion problems. I would suggest periodic misting with acf50 or Corrosion x, but not until after painting.

Rich:
As I mull QB vs non QB on the 9A that I building I want to confirm something on yours. Are you saying there is no wash primer of any kind on the interior surfaces inside the wings? Can someone else confirm that this is the case on other QB (9 or any other model would be fine). I assumed that the wash primer for better or worse was used on all interior surfaces.

Hmmmmm... might make it more appealing to go slow build so that at least some protection other than the alclad could be put on. Maybe not as big a deal as I am thinking as saving the time with a QB seems the way to go for me.

For my EMP I am using the SEM as well as the NAPA self etch rattle cans.

Jeff, my QB -10 had wash primer on all interior surfaces. It's not obvious at first but when you compare the surface to the alclad, it's obvious. Vans uses Sherwin Williams P60G2 wash primer (unless they changed, which I doubt) and so did I.

The wing spar looks treated. I will take a good look at the wings today for the rest. Is all zinc chromate paint the same. Fastnall has 16 oz cans they sell by the case at around six dollars a can. Aircraft Spruce sells 11 oz cans, and are more expensive.

Self-Etching Primer

I am using Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer from O'Reilly Auto Parts in a 12 oz rattle can. I am totally satisfied with this product. I Scotch-Brite surface and wash with Lacquer Thinner (or Gun Wash from PPG). I did a test of this paint. The hitch on my 35' travel trailer was rusting, so I sanded and painted with Dupli-Color Self-Etching Primer from O'Reilly's. I wanted to know how it would hold up so I did not over coat the primer with anything. The trailer lives outside in the sun and rain and made a trip to Sun N' Fun and Oshkosh. Paint still looks new and is holding up very well. You do not have to over coat this primer, it works awesome.

Back