What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More of Key West

pierre smith

Well Known Member
An interesting fact about KEYW, is that all of its water is imported from Miami, via a large pipeline! There are no wells.

This plaque is in front of Harry Truman's beloved Little White House:
DSCN0369_zps35fcc7de.jpg

The furnishings that the family used are all still there:
DSCN0370_zps882e3137.jpg

Ernest Hemingway home is nearby with his writing studio as it was then. He worked hard and tried to write a minimum of 700 words a day, in his books:

Hemingwayentrance_zps5ab46832.jpg

There were many 6-toed cats living there and many deceased, with actors' names on a plaque.

6toedcat_zpsb41cc4bb.jpg

His sense of humor was...err different. He mounted this men's urinal horizontally to aggravate one of his controlling wives who didn't want to remove the ceramic water fountain:

horizontalurinal_zps77265895.jpg

Hemingway's studio:

Hemingwaystudio_zps31869cdb.jpg

Many Cuban cigars are manufactured daily, at several 'factories', where you can see them being rolled:

Cubancigars_zps91968c40.jpg

Hemingway bed, and an improvised headboard that was a garden gate originally:

DSCN0402_zpsff212a82.jpg

Live entertainment daily...Sloppy Joe's one of the famous ones:

DSCN0413_zps0ed72bcc.jpg

The start of U.S. highway 1, which also goes through our town, on the way to Maine..over 2,300 miles. The tour guide mentioned that the "Zero" mile marker is one of the most stolen signs there, and that it only takes a 3/8" wrench to remove it.

BeginningofUSHwy1_zpsbdcf23c7.jpg

I miss it already

Best,

Pierre,

Hope you were able to get out on the water some while you were down here...if not, you're missing out on the best part of the Keys! Glad you enjoyed our little "Paradise"...come back soon!

Yep

We rented a Hobie 16' and the 4 of us had a ball. I owned an earlier version in the '70's but the later ones have an elevated bench seat on both sides and much more comfortable and drier.

Time ran out or we'd have gone diving the crystal-clear waters...and also visit the Dry Tortugas.

Next time:)

Best,

We went there a little over a year ago and your great pictures bring back memories. We stayed at The Banyan Tree a block off Duval St. Go back and take the Dry Tortugas trip. It was super. When we stepped off the plane at home we already wanted to go back.

We rented a Hobie 16' and the 4 of us had a ball. I owned an earlier version in the '70's but the later ones have an elevated bench seat on both sides and much more comfortable and drier.

Time ran out or we'd have gone diving the crystal-clear waters...and also visit the Dry Tortugas.

Next time:)

Best,

Well, next time you come down, give me a shout. I'll get you out. We can dive the Vandenberg, or, if a bit shallower is more your preference, I'll take ya out to Looe Key up here closer to Big Pine. Got enough tank racks on the boat for 4 divers to do 2 tanks each. However, Looe Key can be easily snorkeled. Take care!

Back