What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More new picture of wings

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
and more frustrations, mistakes plain stupid stuff...
I'll get it out of the way.
Installed the leading edge ribs... I mean riveted them to the spar... then had to drill them all out being very careful... 2hours to drill them out.
bounced off a rivet on the bottom of the ribs on the rear spar and have a nice circle on one of the ribs next to the rivet I had to drill out.

Ron's rolling wing jigs are working nice. I have found out that you can check the wings for a twist but like Vans told me on the phone with the predrilled wings you could build them on a table top and they will be fine. Yes I dropped lines and after I got the skins all on everything lined up even better than I could do. It is truely amazing how close the skins fit to the leading edge skins.

Yes there have been some frustrating mistakes. I know why, Not reading ahead and refreshing the mind on the upcoming steps. Yes I did read the whole thing once... but you know it is this 60 things....

And the satisfaction when it all comes together nice. I have been inspected by a couple of AI's and so far it is looking very good to them,, For which I am grateful for the oversight.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get both wings skined and drilled. Then to start on the tanks... Anyone want to come to Cumming Georgia.. free food... steaks, shrimp.. free room for experience tank builders. :) :) :)

Thanks for all the help along the way so far.
The wing construction starts about page 20...in the pictures.

Smilin' Jack
http://community.webshots.com/album/579665919lGvLyE?vhost=community

Lot's of nice pictures, Jack. Your work looks good, only comment is the blue duct running through the rib holes aft of the spar may be a pain in the butt when it comes to installing the fuel tanks. The aileron tube runs through there also and it had to be removed to get at the Z bracket bolts. It gets mighty tight in there once the skins are on.

very impressive! the results are phenomenal! as long as you can get over your mistake and learn your lesson, everything is smooth sailing--- smooth flying =)

Thanks David for the comment, I have thought about drilling the holes in the ribs also. I have seen others with the conduit ran in the lightening holes and hopefully it will work. LIke you said... gets tight when the skins are on.

Since I really don't know where the tubing from the tanks run yet I guess I had better read up a little more...

thanks again.
Smilin' Jack

Back