What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More Leaky Tank Issues

dahugo

Guys, 4 of us built 40BY. We have had leak issues with the left tank 4 times now, and now once on the right tank.

I am tired of it. I just want to buy some tanks, preferably welded, and be done with it.

Anyone know who may sell welded tanks for the RV9? And if not, can you guys vouch for someone who prefabs tanks? I would rather slide down a razor blade naked into a vat of alcohol than pull those stupid tanks again.

HUGO

leaking tanks are a bummer but wait just a moment... a thought just came to me.... if you fill the entire tank with proseal there is no chance for a leak. will take approx 36 gal. for a 9. anything less than that, you're at risk. :)

Last edited:
I have done a fair bit of aluminum welding and I can't ell you these tanks are not designed to be welded.

Welded tanks have lumps on the seams and on top of the rivets. They also are somewhat distorted which is a byproduct of welding thin aluminum. They are not smooth because they don't usually make up the outer surface of the wing. They are usually buried in the airplane.

Also, 2024 is used for strength and that alloy is not weldable. If you go for a weldable alloy you won't have the strength. You will have to use thicker material which means a lot more weight.

Back