What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More curious than a concern

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
The engine mount attach points are held to the firewall by lp4-3 pop rivets. I forget the exact amount, but i think it is more than 12 of them. Granted, the engine mount is bolted on by large 3/8" bolts and castle nuts.

I am just curious as to the engineering of pop rivets vs solid rivets on the mounting brackets. Any thoughts? Just had one of those "hmmm" moments when installing the upper engine mount stand-off today.

Engineering 101!

The RV12 was designed with a certain group of tools to keep the builder's cost to a minimum. So in my honest opinion some places where you would see bucked rivets on the other models RV you see pop rivets on the 12. That way you dont have to buy another expensive tool to complete the job. Remember it's not aerobatic and it is a LSA. If operated within the POH limitations then Ken Kruger the Main engineer at Vans would assure you that you wont have any problems.

Pop Rivets

Pop rivets do not necessarily equate to less strength than bucked rivets. What bucked rivets do for certain is allow you to dimple every hole. Additionally, inside 20 feet, the bucked rivet head will not be seen. There are pulled rivets that carry 50,000/75,000 psi sheer. Like John says, Ken knew what he was designing.

Long Time Since School

"The shear strength of most pulled rivets is greater than bucked rivets."

Surely these rivets will be in tension not shear?

As I say, long time since school.

Jamesey

Back