What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

more 779/711/712 queries.

goldbar

I am a bit miffed, and don't want to screw this up. Looked thru the forums and it seems like this part can be a struggle, so help...

tailcone.jpg

This photo* is looking down between f-711 bulkhead (at the top of the photo) f-712 bulkhead at the bottom of the photo and wd-409 in the bottom against the f-779 skin. So I have the "keeper" rivets installed on the wd-409 connecting it to the f-712 bulkhead. Now the rivet holes are just not aliening on the bottom of f-711 and f-779.. ugh.. f-712 seems bowed in a bit, the wrong direction.

Ideas ?
Drill out the keeper rivets and persuade f-712 the bow a wee bit south ?
Somehow (?) get wd-409 to persuade f-712 a bit south ?

*And why can't I post a photo ? Looking at the bottom of may page it says
"You may not post attachments".. Now why would that be ?
Thanks, much.

I would remove the keeper rivets and look to see if you need a spacer between the WD-409/F-712 bulkhead. Actually I would keep them out until the fuselage twist has been removed and after the F-714 aft deck has been riveted on. If the keeper rivets are installed now you have no way of knowing if the F-712 and F-711 bulkheads are aligned. They will be easy to install at a later date as you can reach down inside to buck them. I used some .040 and epoxied it in place onto the WD-409. Hope this helps.

DSCN1085.JPG

Last edited:
So, just leave the wd-409 unattached, or use the bolts on 711 and 712 to keep it basically in place ? Seems fair, and a good idea. I believe the 712 bulkhead got a bit bowed in when I set the rivets, so I believe removing those and flattening that bulkhead will hopefully do the trick.
Thanks for your help.

its ok

Don't feel bad Goldbar, it says I can't post pics either. But I do have a happy life anyway.:D

bird

Here you go...

tailcone.jpg

For what it's worth, the plates were out of parallel on the WD-409 weldment supplied with my kit. I had to make a tapered shim to take up the space at the aft end. Looks bad, but I shared it with Vans and they declared it to be acceptable.

940351978_goDPJ-M-1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget to have that thing painted or powder coated before you install it. One local builder didn't do that and had to drill apart the tail section to get it out.

Correct.
Tighten the bolts attaching the W-409 to the F-711 bulkhead. Rivet what you can, assemble your fuselage, flip fuselage when ready and then you will need to check for twist before finally riveting on the aft deck. Once the aft deck is riveted on, the fuselage is where it is going to stay. Then it will be easy to set your keeper rivets.
Like Bill said, make sure that puppy is painted before installing. Once those two bulkheads are riveted its not coming out without lots of drilling.

PS Looking at your picture that Lars posted for you it looks as though your keeper rivets have in fact pulled in the F-712 bulkhead.Once they are removed and bolts are tightened through the F-711 bulkhead you very well might need a shim.

Last edited:
...Like Bill said, make sure that puppy is primed before installing. Once those two bulkheads are riveted its not coming out without lots of drilling...
Painted, not just primed. Many primers are porous and you want to make sure the dissimilar metals are protected from each other, even if moisture gets between them.

Back