What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moontown Fly-in

We arrived at Moontown in the middle of the afternoon in a Zenith 701. A lot of planes were already gone. However, I got to look over a bunch of RVs! We were well represented. My Zenith builder buddy has seen the lite. He just bought a partially built RV-10. That will make two in our hanger.
Really nice little grass strip. Very smooth. Reminded me the way aviation used to be. :)

lionheart staggerwing

What does anyone know about the Lionheart staggerwing shown in the pictures??

It is great to see it still flying. I know that the kit is out of production with only a few built. The Griffon aerospace design is exceptional. The airplane is intriquing. The performance and use of the radial is a great approach (cheap proven horsepower).

Who owns it?? Any plans for producing kits??

It is great to see it still flying. I know that the kit is out of production with only a few built. The Griffon aerospace design is exceptional. The airplane is intriquing. The performance and use of the radial is a great approach (cheap proven horsepower).

http://www.moontownairport.com/lionheart.html

Larry French designed it and Gordy Seuell was the test pilot. Both Larry and Gordy still own N985L which was the prototype. If memory serves me correctly they only kitted 5 of them due to liability concerns of which only 3 are still flying. Gordy flies N985L very regularly at Moontown. N985L does not have main gear doors (the other aircraft do) and the gear legs are hollow which creates a distinct whistling sounds as it flies like blowing over the lip of a bottle. I have had the pleasure of flying N985L on a few occasions and it is a blast. She is fast, nible and responsive, but is very touchy on the rudder and a handful to land. The aircraft is capable of +6, -3 g's and Gordy has had her up to 280kts in a descent. Cruise is around 190 kts around 25 - 30 gph. On the show passes that I have made we were hitting 225 kts without really pushing her. She has fuel in all 4 wings along with 4 ailerons and flaps which allows her to be very stable in slow flight as well. Base is flown around 90 kts and she crosses the fence at about 70 kts with a stall speed of about 55 kts.

Pure addrenaline is the best way to describe flying it...she is like a Thoroughbred...built for speed and she likes to run.

Back