What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Monument Valley Flight

Caveman

Well Known Member
I enjoy reading the travel stories you guys post here. They helped keep me motivated during our ?7? build and I thought that if I ever got the chance, I?d like to visit places that some of you have told about. One place I?d never been to was Sun & Fun. It seemed that I was always at a conference or that work otherwise interfered during that time of year. The agenda looked different this year so when vacation scheduling time came around, I marked down S&F week as my first choice. The wife and I discussed the trip and I blurted out that we could do something wild? like fly to the Bahamas after S&F. I half expected her to recoil in horror at the thought of flying over the ocean. Instead, her answer was: ?Well we ain?t getting no younger; we better go for it while we can?! So I started doing some flight planning and searching VAF for info on a Bahamas trip. I checked out the E-APIS tutorial and to be honest, I got a bit discouraged thinking of all the hassle. I decided it would be much more fun to do that trip with another airplane or two. Perhaps someday, go with those who had already been through all this, and could lead the way through the haze. The weather also was looking ?iffy? down towards Florida anyway, so a week before S&F I switched gears? Thank the good Lord! The pictures of the storm damage at the fly-in tore at my heart.

Some of you had told of flying to Monument Valley, UT. and the videos posted were awe inspiring. This video by ?low pass? is my all-time favorite?.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPAM10V8rkE&NR=1
I watched it many times for inspiration and even downloaded ?Ameno? to my I-pod.

Henceforth, I made reservations for two nights at Goulding?s Lodge, asked them for permission to land at the private airstrip and faxed in the insurance and liability waiver.

Well, the same weather system that was keeping many of you from S&F settled over our home airfield and our departure was delayed by a stationary front with 300? ceilings and cold blustery winds. In hindsight it was a blessing because it allowed, (forced) me to spend a few days dealing with much needed spring cleaning, sprucing up the yard and tearing down an old shed to make way for a new one.
A tight cluster of two low pressure areas and one high pressure system parked themselves in the northern Arizona, southern Utah, and eastern Nevada area and I had a hard time deciding what to do. Heck, that weather system had a hard time deciding what to do. I start watching the weather several days out and this stuff just didn?t want to move. One county west of our home field, things looked good to go. But the home field itself and our destination did not. We?d have to cross the Rockies and I had no intention of scud running in the mountains if the tightly grouped weather systems moved east. So we waited with my vacations days ticking by. Finally, the night before a decision had to be made and our reservations canceled, the weather started breaking. One low magically dissolved, and the other started moving as the high pressure took control. I decided to forgo the Page, AZ. portion of the trip, and make a bee line for Monument Valley. It wouldn?t be VFR until late on launch morning, but it did look like we?d have a two or three day window to enjoy. Around 10 am we headed for the airport and then climbed out into an ?overcast at 1800 feet? sky. Just as we crossed over the Oklahoma / Texas border the skies turned ?CAVU? and we could climb at will. Two hours from launch we landed uneventfully at Las Vegas, NM where we refueled and ate a quick lunch that Carey had packed.
IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

A half hour later we were climbing over the Rockies towards Santa Fe. It?s at times like this that you realize that the RV?s performance truly is spectacular.

Flying that pile of rivets and aluminum fastened together in my garage over the Rockies for the first time was a down right near religious experience!

IMG_0868.JPG

We over-flew the SAF VOR, turned North at CABZO intersection and headed toward Farmington, NM into a fierce 32 kt. head wind and toward RSK ?rattlesnake? VOR. With the Mattituck IO-360 purring, the foreboding terrain below didn?t seem quite so treacherous and we crossed many dry arroyos and countless washes, sand dunes, and rock outcroppings. It was interesting terrain to be sure. I envisioned the people that traversed this country a hundred and fifty years before and wondered what they would have thought about an RV screaming above them at 160 kts. I kept busy looking for roads and landing places should we need it. There weren?t many to choose from. We banked left at Farmington and headed into ever changing country, generally following the San Juan River until it turned further north. About the same time we came upon the Carrizo Mountains which we would pass just to the right of. I was very aware that high winds at altitude and rough terrain could spell turbulence and so I stayed a few miles from the mountain ridge. It wasn?t far enough. Up until now the ride had been a bit bumpy but nowhere near uncomfortable. Suddenly, the bottom dropped out and it felt as if a trap door had opened beneath us. The fall lasted less than 2 seconds and abruptly reversed. At the bottom, even with the 5 point Hooker harness fastened snug, my headset hit the canopy. That was the only time on the whole trip we hit bad turbulence. As we flew westward, the scenery became even more desolate and intriguing. Eventually, it took on an ?other-worldly? appearance. Mesas, spires, and ?monuments? began to thrust out of the ground. We had entered ?John Wayne Country?.

IMG_1012.JPG

To be continued...

The private runway looked more like a road than a runway, with no markings or numbers visible. I knew that this could be a one shot landing attempt with a thousand foot cliff rising at the end of the runway making a go-around improbable. The complicating factor was that this cliff and the runway gradient also made this a one way in and opposite way out airport. Now, the wind sock indicated I?d be landing this tail dragger with a quartering tailwind. The really concerning development was that the closest weather reporting stations, (which were many miles away) had the winds at 7 gusting to 27 kts. Yikes! One thing I really like about the AFS 3500 is the wind direction arrow and speed. Although it indicated a quartering tailwind as I lined up on final, it didn?t appear to be quite as bad as the stations reported. So, perhaps over confident, I decided to land. There is a bit of an optical illusion caused by the gradient and it seemed I was high and fast so I slipped the airplane hard with full flaps and the runway rose fast to meet us. We touched down, once twice, okay maybe three or four times and I danced on the pedals as the wind pushed us every which way. In the end, I came out on top but it wasn?t very pretty. We had used less than a third of the runway even with the tail wind. The density altitude and 4000? runway length where cancelled out by the 2 % uphill gradient. It took a fair amount of throttle to taxi uphill to the parking area.

Here we've just touched down with the cliff ahead....

IMG_0883.JPG

The lodge is to the upper left of the airplane....

IMG_0889.JPG

One bit of advice for those who contemplate coming here. Don?t do it until you have quite a bit of time in your new toy and have confidence in your abilities. I have about 230 hrs. in N847CR and I spent my whole life fighting the wind in NW Oklahoma and this was a challenge for me. I pushed the edges of my experience and skill envelope and intend to back it back down a notch. Others have advised to come in early of the morning or late of an evening to hopefully catch the winds before they raise their ugly head too high. Heed that advice. I didn?t and could have paid dearly. I?m glad we were the only ones there to see it.
A Goulding?s Lodge Van pulled up shortly after we climbed out and I told the driver it would take me ten minutes or so to tie it down and unload our bags. He returned before I had the canopy cover on but we went ahead and let him haul us up to the lodge. After checking in and unpacking, we went back down and booked an all-day bus tour. Then we took a pleasant walk back to the airport and installed the canopy cover. That gave us a chance to get the blood flowing again to our legs. After a very good meal in the restaurant we watched a 20 minute movie of the area?s history in the mini-theatre and then we walked through the museum. Every evening at 8:10 they show one of the John Wayne westerns that were filmed in valley. We enjoyed ?Stagecoach? the first night, and ?she wore a yellow ribbon? the second.

continued

This is what we awoke to the next morning...

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

The bus tour the next day was interesting and we had a great Navaho guide was who was knowledgeable and entertaining. He had a sense of humor that caught us off guard and made it a lot of fun. One of the stops was a Navaho weaving demonstration at a Hogan right beside the airport. Rather than bore you with details, I?ll just say that we felt the tour was well worth the price and we highly recommend it. There are several different tour packages to choose from. The all day tour feeds you lunch cooked on a grill below Anasazi ruins. We sat with our guide while eating and he asked us where we drove in from. Well, you know how that conversation went? I honestly don?t think he believed we crossed the Rockies in a homebuilt flying contraption.

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

To be continued.....

That looks like where I ate lunch on my trip there. Can't remember the name of the area but it is south of the main monument complex.

A couple of wet wash cloths in a baggie would have been nice to wipe off the red dust that got everywhere.

It is a great trip.

I hope you got to see the valley at sunset.

Last edited:
continued...

We arrived back at the lodge around 5 pm and after another good meal and movie we hit the bed tired and happy.
Up early the next morning,

IMG_1009.JPG

we ate a light breakfast, checked out of the room and caught a ride to the landing strip. As I was untying the airplane I glanced up and our guide was waving from the airport fence by the Hogan. He had another tour group and delayed long enough to wish us a safe trip home. The take-off was downhill and into the wind. Easy. We headed towards the valley...

IMG_1024.JPG

Carey had the video camera rolling as we made a circuit over the park. We spotted one of the hot air balloons airborne over the valley. The following day they were going to have a balloon launch.

Here?s the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7J-GX-GzU8

I landed at Farmington, NM for fuel on the way home. Then over Santa Fe, we texted our daughter in Granbury, TX and asked her if she would like for us to drop in and take her and her husband out for supper. I knew our little side trip would please momma and I have to admit that I was missing my baby girl. So the RV-7 with the Caveman on the cowl took us non-stop from Farmington to Granbury in 3.7 hours. We spent a few hours visiting with our daughter whom we hadn?t seen since Christmas. When son-in-law came home from work, we went out for a nice Italian meal. I lost the battle for the ticket and they dropped us back by the airport afterwards. We touched down back at our home field after a beautiful 1:45 hr. night flight, with Polaris guiding us home. A full day of flying with just a few clouds in the sky.

The terrain there looks to be exactly like the Moab, UT area that I have spent so much time in.
Great write up!

Nice writeup! Even though it's in my back yard, I can't wait to visit overhead after finishing. Like many of the trip reports, stories like yours fuel the fire to be done and flying. Thank you!

--Stephen

Nice Trip

Enjoyed your trip report. I'm planning on a trip to Monument Valley in late June. Hope the winds are a little milder then! ... Bill

A Second Hotel In M. V. Area

Great write-up. There is another hotel in the area. It is only about two years old and has great rooms and outstanding food and service. Sorry but I can not remember the hotels name.

That looks like where I ate lunch on my trip there. Can't remember the name of the area but it is south of the main monument complex.

A couple of wet wash cloths in a baggie would have been nice to wipe off the red dust that got everywhere.

It is a great trip.

I hope you got to see the valley at sunset.

Below these ruins is where we ate, Ron. It was windy and the whole bus tour was dusty. You're right, a wet wash cloth would have been great. It wasn't too bad for an old farm kid but we did enjoy our shower when we got back.

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

The sunrises and sunsets were beyond words... I'ts a special place.

Joe

Last edited:
Great write-up. There is another hotel in the area. It is only about two years old and has great rooms and outstanding food and service. Sorry but I can not remember the hotels name.

Ken, I believe there may be some condo type lodging available in town as well but I'm not familiar with it.

Joe

Enjoyed your trip report. I'm planning on a trip to Monument Valley in late June. Hope the winds are a little milder then! ... Bill

Thanks for the kudos guys.

Bill,

Make sure you have enough fuel on board that if the winds are bad, you can go elsewhere. The lack of weather reporting can be an issue. If I were doing it again I'd consider overflying the runway midfield and confirming what the wind sock is saying, rather than looking for it on final. I'd line up on final quite aways out and leave enough room for a shallow turn to the left rather than try to climb over the cliff if you need to try to go around. You'll have to committ quite aways out. That cliff is closer and larger than it appears in the pictures. I'm probably a rookie trying to advise a veteran so take it for what it is worth. I been told that high winds are common in the area and the week I made reservations they had been at 60 mph +. Of course, I learned that later.

Joe

Joe,
Nice inspiration.
Monument Valley in my RV8 is on my bucket list - thanks for reminding me why!

ps I'm an exhiled Okie living in Ohio. Grew up and cut my flying teeth in Duncan.

Last edited:
My Monument Valley landing wasn't "purty" either. Unfortunately, a tourist plane made a landing a few minutes prior............so that everyone could watch... :eek:

There truly is a bit of an illusion, as the runway goes slightly uphill.
Never the less, Monument Valley and Lake Powell are two of my favorite places on earth!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Joe, thanks for taking the time to post. I really enjoy reading trip write ups, as they inspire me to get my plane in the air. I am so tired of renting aircraft and being confined so close to my home airport. I can't wait to spread my wings and go on my own adventures. Again, thanks for letting all of us join you on this trip. Nice job. :)

Back