What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

modification to the panel

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I guess I am in the experimental mode. I wanted my Dynon display exactly in front of me and not off to one side. But on the tipper the brace F745 rib is exactly where the display needs to go.
I cut off the rib where it comes out of the subpanel and then made another rib identical to the one I cut. I called and talked to Van's and got their blessing if I thought my system would stand 6 G's... I think it will be stronger than what they supplied. .

The web site is below Pictures start of this on about page 76. but here is one for you to see.

Hope this might help someone else with this desire.
Smilin' Jack

Last edited:
Funny you post this today because I was just wondering what the measurements were for the screen to be perfectly aligned with each seat. Any numbers for that?

Center of screen aligned with center of seat.

I just did a similar cut-and-move with the F-745L rib in my 9A, but won't add another brace. I moved mine only a few inches inboard...seems strong enough for no acro.

Centering

What I did was to use the control stick with a small magnetic level on it I found where in the control stick mounting was plumb then use a framing square and squared it to the panel.

I also thought about measuring the panel and taking half the width which is approx 19 1/4 inches from the center of the panel to the center of the display

Either way you'll be a lot closer
Jack
Ps you can call Dynon and they have the poster full size displays they can send

On my -6A the question came up. I put in two ribs to replace the missing rib, one on either side of the EFIS display. It's plenty strong, even for acro. I was not the first to do this, either but at the time (2007), Van's Aircraft wouldn't say one way or the other whether they thought it was Ok.

Did the same thing...just cut the rib about halfway back (and used it as an attach point for various bits, pieces, clamps, etc., as needed).

I used the radio stack in the center as an additional support. I added angles to the back of the stack which then screw into the forward bulkhead (tip-up), so the entire radio stack (the trays and angle supports) acts like one big honkin' box structure to support the panel and hold it rock-solid. (Right side rib is still in place, too...for now, until I had a second EFIS screen someday :) ).

Back