What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mode S Transponders and A/C Registration

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
A moderator may want to move this elsewhere but I could not find a place to put transponder threads.

I was reading in the SkyView manual about Dynon's Mode S transponder. The manual states on pg 11-13 that a 24 bit number is issued to the aircraft by the registration authority for the aircraft. I followed the link Dynon provided and looked at my aircraft registration and see a "Mode S Code" field.

So if I understand this correctly, if I install a Mode S transponder I have to enter the code before the Mode S will work and then the FAA will track my plane and know my N-number whenever I am using Mode S? What's to stop someone from using someone else's code? What if The FAA tracks you down and accuses you of nefarious things based on the code and you spend your small savings defending yourself in Federal court.

I don't even like traffic cameras, and if this is true it is somewhat disturbing.

What are other your thoughts? Do I understand this correctly?

Yes... the Mode S code is already assigned to your registration.

I don't believe a Mode S transponder can default to become an ALT only Mode C, but have not actually confirmed this...

There are so many ways for the government to track you, today, that you have little else to fear. 24-bits give the assigning authority millions and millions of numbers to assign you. Security by obscurity does have its uses. Besides, if you get accused of doing something nefarious with your plane all they have to do is look at your:
Credit card usage
Mobile phone/ipad location data
Energy use at your home
Email / surfing patterns...
Then they'll see that you were at home making dinner, watching your DVR'd copy of Monday Night Football all while being on a conference call with work. You couldn't have been in your plane.

ATC does not see your tail number or any other identifying information from a mode S transponder (unless of course they gave you a squawk code). They can't even tell whether your transponder is Mode C or Mode S.....At least that what my ATC buddy told me.

ATC does not see your tail number or any other identifying information from a mode S transponder (unless of course they gave you a squawk code). They can't even tell whether your transponder is Mode C or Mode S.....At least that what my ATC buddy told me.

Aahhh.... but is it in the ATC radar data base?

ATC friend told me they don't have the info - I suspect the info is transmitted in the data block going out but nothing seems to be done with the info on the receiving side.

Dan

I live in New Zealand so what I say will not apply to you folks who live in the upside down part of the world :)

I have a Mode S transponder with an assigned code and also forward NMEA (GPS) on to my transponder so in theory not only does the CAA (the relevant authority in NZ) see who I am by name but I also tell them my position very accurately or so I thought.

So being proud as punch I am off the technology in my aircraft I take myself off to the tower after a cross country flight to see a friend of mine who was on duty ATC duty.

What I learnt was my gear in the aircraft is way ahead of where the SSR (secondary surveillance radar) is - they can only track my altitude and squawk code, in my case 1200. So all my fears of busting airspace and being identified immediately are groundless.

Obviously at some stage the SSR will catch-up but by them it might just all be ADSB :)

Just an interesting observation.

Cheers Peter

Peter Armstrong
Auckland, New Zealand

I am pretty sure thatwhat has ben said is correct - yes, the Mode S code conceptually allows them to know who you are even though you are squawking 1200. But the ground technology isn't in ATC to do that yet. However.....there are other government agencies looking at the RF spectrum all the time......do they care?

Safety 1st

IMHO, the less "Big Brother" knows about everyone, the better off we will all be. That being said... I was flying with my Skyview Mode S transponder on and happened to see this little diamond pop up on my PFD with an arrow pointing in my direction with an indicator telling me that traffic was at my 10:00, 500' above my altitude, descending right towards me. As hard as I was straining to find the traffic, I could not see anything in the haze. When I noticed the traffic was closing in awefully fast, I banked right and down, away from the traffic and as I did so, the Cessna flew right by me (probably within 500') off my left wingtip.:eek: Close enough that I could read his N number. I don't believe the Cessna ever saw me. The investment in the Mode S in my opinion is money well spent. If big brother wants to track me, so be it. At least I am still here for him to track.

I love seeing the traffic on my 495. It's fantastic.
But remember, this is TIS traffic and will only show up when flying within radar service areas.
Out in the boonies, you're still on your on.

Back