What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mobile Wing Stand / Jig Looking for ideas

nippaero

Well Known Member
Hi, I am still putting together my wing stands (Rudi's design) and it sure would be nice to be able to move them around and not have them bolted to the cement floor. That way I could move the wing out of the way and still park the car in the garage when I am not working on the project. Has anyone ever come up with a sturdy wing stand that has caster wheels or similar? It would need to be rigid enough to build the wing on.

On the plans

Hi, I am still putting together my wing stands (Rudi's design) and it sure would be nice to be able to move them around and not have them bolted to the cement floor. That way I could move the wing out of the way and still park the car in the garage when I am not working on the project. Has anyone ever come up with a sturdy wing stand that has caster wheels or similar? It would need to be rigid enough to build the wing on.

There is a page of my plans that has one idea, I added some 2x4 along the bottom to put on wheels and it works great. After the fact I saw some that added a box at the bottom which allows for more storage space for control rods and skins, I will hopefully get to that if I end up with dead time. Here are pics of my rack from my log. Do a search on VAF and you should get some good ideas.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rvg8tor&project=403&category=3040&log=43016&row=1

Cheers

Check out mine

Since my shops ceilings were over 16' high my jig had to be free standing. I built my jig similar to one I saw while at the Sportair workshop. I had castors on it so I could roll it around. I also had leveling screws made from 3/8" carriage bolts upside down on each corner. You can make out the jig on my website under the wing construction section.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/flrv7a/rvhome.htm

If you want some more detailed pics let me know.

Back