What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moab here we come

Wiley

Planning on a father/son trip to Moab from central Texas in June for canyoneering. First time to UT and first time to fly to NM, AZ, UT. Other than flying through Monument Valley, any strong recommendations on don't miss activities?

My limited experience

The wife and I flew to Moab from Baton Rouge. We enjoyed a couple of nights in Santa Fe (SAF). We had to drive to Cedar City, UT from Moab to see Bryce Canyon and Zion due to snowstorms in Mountains, but got in some nice April skiing at nearby Brian Head resort.

Made another trip to Cortez, CO (CEZ) which is near Monument Valley, Mesa Verde NP and Durango (Animas River). I think this would also be near your route and I like the airport.

Moab is awesome. Just be ready for wind. When it blows it can really kick.

John

Parks

Arches and Canyonlands NPs are can't miss. Great hiking on the BLM land as well. We also did Mesa Verde and loved it. Best trip so far in the little plane!!

Bryce Canyon (BCE) is about 75 nm from CNY. The airport is a short courtesy car ride from Ruby's Inn (Best Western). Ride the free Park Service shuttle bus from the hotel into the park for the outdoor activities. Back to the hotel for dinner, drinks, and rest.

Glen Canyon Dam and the Green River, just North of Monument Valley. Try to view Monument Valley in the morning from the air, sun casting shadows. I swear you can almost see John Wayne and the wagon train running full throttle with indians in hot pursuit. Well worth the time. Dan from Reno

Back