What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MLG Mount

clutch22

Well Known Member
I am temporarily installing my gear mount to drill the additional holes needed through the floorboard and side plate in section 28. The RH mount went in without too much difficulty, I'm on evening three.. or four of trying to get the bolts to all line up for the LH mount. I've had it out several times and gone about it different ways. Using a clamp I can get a few bolts in, but it soon gets in a bind.
When we first drill all these AN3 holes through the spar, we just have the spar and F1004 Channel. However, now with the fuselage built up and the side-plate on, the area shown in the pictures with missing primer/ powdercoating is very stiff and interferes. I contacted Van's early on about this. They wanted me to use a clamp. After two more evenings, it's just not working.

Anyone experience this issue?

I'll probably get back with Van's on this for more guidance...

20150820_202031.jpg

20150820_202043.jpg

20150820_202132.jpg

20150820_202156.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck!

I've completed these same steps within the past month or so. This was one of the less enjoyable parts of Section 28 (and for the final time in Section 29). Unfortunately I don't have much advice for you other than to keep trying different angles and pressures, pulling on the gear up, down, inboard, outboard etc. I remember pulling the gear in an outboard direction while holding it flat against the spar, and that allowed me to slide bolts into each corner. Then filling in the middle ones seemed to go easier.

I feel your pain, keep it up and you'll get there... good luck! :)

:D Thanks for the kind words Mike/Sarah. BTW, I love all the documentation you two have done on your build!

Van's support just got back with me and said to bend that area of the weldment flange with a solid hammer. I think I can handle that. Believe me, this thing has been attempted to be installed in all different ways. This is the only way it is going to go in. Like you said this step has been less than enjoyable. It's frustrating because I'm ready to get to the next section and turn this thing into a canoe!:D

Also, In case anyone wonders. The gear leg tube is not rubbing on the skin. The missing powder coat on the tube is from early on troubles with this. In the end, it was only the weldment flange giving me troubles.

Hey Andrew you're more than welcome! And thank you for the kind words about our blog, we're doing our best to keep up on it and hope it is some combination of helpful and entertaining for people to read, from fellow RV-10 builders like yourself all the way to "Mom"... lol.

Hopefully the BFH does the trick for you! :D

I don't remember any particular issue with this part of the build, but I guess each weldment is individual.

I can only suggest that you run a drill through the holes to take off any paint so as too allow easier fitting of the bolts.

Also, you might make sure that there are no weld flows on the corners that are preventing a good fit - maybe a little grinding required......

Last edited:
I don't remember any particular issue with this part of the build, but I guess each weldment is individual.

I can only suggest that you run a drill through the holes to take off any paint so as too allow easier fitting of the bolts.

Also, you might make sure that there are no weld flows on the corners that are preventing a good fit - maybe a little grinding required......

It ended up only being that flange that was rubbing. It was probably .030" too far off. After adjusting it slightly it all went in fine.

Back