What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixup with fuel/throttle holes

Jeff R

Well Known Member
With my shoulder finally starting to recover from surgery I had about 6 weeks ago, I finally got back out to the work shop to resume work on my plane Sunday, enjoying the great weather we are finally getting down here. In looking things over however, I saw that I messed up with the holes for the fuel and throttle in the firewall. (I am installing an IO-320.)

What I did was drill a hole for the throttle (Hole "F" on drawing 19 on the Firewall Penetration Points digram). But, when I installed the fuel line, that is where I made the fuel line penetration -- installing an AN bulkhead fitting per the drawing for the fuel injection system where the throttle cable should have gone. Turns out, that hole should have been a little higher.

Can I drill a hole next to the fuel bulkhead fitting (I used a doubler there that is wide enough for an additional hole). Or, can I drill a hole a little higher for the throttle cable?

Thanks.

Jeff the answer is yes and maybe! Yes technically, maybe logistically!

Do you have the engine installed? If so, just pick a spot that works. If not, I would wait to drill the hole.

I have a 7A with an IO-360, and I found that the drawing hole locations would not work at all. I had to relocate them, then I had to use the incorrect hole for something else.

Larry

I moved my cables too.

I didn't like the standard location for the throttle cable down by the fuel line mostly because of the routing inside the cabin. I chose to route all cables above the pedal cross tubes and ended up with both prop and throttle penetrations adjacent to each other on the pilot side, and the mixture penetration on the passenger side. You will have to order cables from $$pruce. I used their A-1760 vernier series (same style and manufacturer as Vans) with a 55" mixture, and 60" throttle. The Vans 45.5" prop cable worked fine, but I had to modify the bracket for the PCU500 governor.

No way to do this without the engine hung unless you directly copy someone elses install IMHO.

Good luck!

Back