What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mixing types of epoxy

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Working on fiberglass top. Used Aeropoxy Light in corners and to blend in the overhead console. Got it looking pretty good, but would like to mix epoxy with micro in a thinner mix in order to smooth out some details even more.

Is there any reason you cannot apply epoxy/micro mix on top of Aeropoxy Light? I didn't know if they have different characteristics that could cause problems down the road.

Working on fiberglass top. Used Aeropoxy Light in corners and to blend in the overhead console. Got it looking pretty good, but would like to mix epoxy with micro in a thinner mix in order to smooth out some details even more.

Is there any reason you cannot apply epoxy/micro mix on top of Aeropoxy Light? I didn't know if they have different characteristics that could cause problems down the road.

No adhesion issue, assuming you sand or otherwise roughen the Aeropoxy prior to application of the epoxy/micro.

That said, it's generally a bad idea to do a patchwork application of materials with two different sanding densities. The soft one cuts easily, the hard one does not, and the result is a wavy surface, despite heroic block sanding. That pushes the builder (or painter) into multiple shoot and sand sessions, blocking high-build primer to get it flat again.

A premixed epoxy filler will generally cure soft and easy to sand, while wet micro (a runny epoxy/micro mix) will cure hard.

Hadn't thought of the hard VS softer material. Makes perfect sense! Thx for saving me the learning lesson!

go get some glazing or icing. It is a poly filler that is thinner than std poly filler for applying final coats and the type of work you are doing.

Larry

go get some glazing or icing. It is a poly filler that is thinner than std poly filler for applying final coats and the type of work you are doing.

Larry

Evercoat Easy Sand. Throw in some Dura-Blocks and guide coat and you can get a glass smooth finish. Or go crazy trying!

I've also used their Slick Sand product but you need a large tip spray gun to apply it. The pot life is nothing to stretch out either. It's efficient for large areas (I did a whole car) but has a pretty hard outer layer that you have to break through.

Back