What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mistral Slow Engine Work

nucleus

Well Known Member
The only GA wankel rotary engine entity I know of in the news:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/MISTRAL072109.xml&headline=Mistral%20Slows%20Engine%20Work&channel=busav

Mistral Slows Engine Work

Jul 21, 2009

Robert Wall/Paris [email protected]

The slowdown in general aviation has driven Swiss rotary aircraft engine maker Mistral Engines to lay off staff and slow work.

The engine maker says it expects the slowdown to last six to nine months, after which it hopes to ramp up again. Also effected is development of the 300 hp G-300, which is being slowed but not halted.

Mistral this year sought a new round of capital to help transition to a full-blown production organization from a startup. But given the strain on financial markets, the capital increase has not been as successful as planned. In a statement, Mistral Engines says "although key potential investors have clearly demonstrated their interest to participate in this financing round, convinced about the potential of Mistral Engines' products and growth, the process was clearly impacted by the economic crisis. Investors are thus expected to join Mistral Engines' capital, but at a slower pace than anticipated."

The engine maker says the current situation is forcing layoffs at its Geneva site, with 11 persons affected. It is trying to protect development personnel and says it "will dedicate its activities and manpower almost exclusively to the certification of its 300 hp engine."

The company board has also approved a 1.5 million Swiss francs capital increase to help shore up its balance sheet. The engine maker remains fully financed by private equity. It expects to secure the additional capital in six-to-nine months, triggering the ramp-up of activities.

The engine maker was targeting an early 2010 FAA-type certification for the G-300, to be followed by approval from the European Aviation Safety Agency. That schedule is likely to slip, but by months, not years, says Philippe Durr, Mistral Engines's chief executive officer. "The target is still 2010," he says, but probably not the early part.

The long-term goal for the company is to reach 1,500 engine sales per year within five years.

Certification is continuing though

Communication with the rotary engine newsletter indicates that the certification of the 3 rotor 300 HP is continuing. They are still funded but won't be building a production facility until more investors are on-line. (Not a fast track item these days.) They are not closing but are slowing. Too bad since they have one of the best looking alternate engine systems out there right now.
Bill Jepson

Contracts for Heli's in europe.

Mistral made some ink in the avation press about securing sales to a european helicopter manufacturer. They have delivered a couple normally aspirated engines in the US. They decided sometime ago to push the 300 HP normally aspirated 3 rotor to certification. I think that is a mistake, but they weren't asking me anyway:( The certification process has been a new manufacturer killer on several occations. Columbia 400 is now a CESSSSSna. The Cirrus got very close to going under despite being a very nice aircraft. The use of the balistic parachute, and the short-circuiting of the certification process may have been a saver for them. Now the economy may be causing a much lower demand for the helicopter guys Mistral was contracted to. I believe the reason for pushing the 300 HP 3 rotor to certification first is to sell to the heli market. Personally I think any new ICE engine manufacturer that doesn't consider the homebuilt portion of GA as their first income source is wacko. I do believe that Vans sells more new Lycs that any other source, that should give these guys a clue. No matter how good your equipment is, YOU MUST SELL IT IN QUANTITY to make a profit. A reasonable price in the homebuilt market it the ticket. They could make and sell their engines to the homebuilt market now without all the hassle. My $.02
Bill Jepson

Yep. They are missing the biggest boat. It would be a shame if they don't make it now after all that work.

The certification process has been a new manufacturer killer on several occations. Columbia 400 is now a CESSSSSna. The Cirrus got very close to going under despite being a very nice aircraft. .....
Bill Jepson

Columbia's financial problems had very little to do with the certification process.

I believe the reason for pushing the 300 HP 3 rotor to certification first is to sell to the heli market. Personally I think any new ICE engine manufacturer that doesn't consider the homebuilt portion of GA as their first income source is wacko.

There is one RV-10 in Denmark with a Mistral 3 rotor currently being build. He has a web page, but I don't remember the name at the moment. From what I remember reading the site a couple of months ago, the 3 rotor is far from functional, the dane had not received several key engine components dispite year old promises. Seems to me that Mistral's main problem is getting the engine to run properly (or at all). "Working on certification" is probably just an excuse, because they have no working product at all as far as I can see.

I think using the experimental marked to develop/test engines are totally flawed. Simply too many unknown variables creeping into the equations, drawing recources from development that could be used much better in a dedicated lab or test aircrafts. Certification is after all just a process to be sure that the engine satisfies (all) the demands in an aircraft.

Don't know that problem.

Found it (the Mistral, RV-10 from Denmark)
http://www.rv10.dk/rv10/rv/mp/motore.html
http://www.rv10.dk/
Looks like the engine still is not finished, the ECU along with other essential parts are seemingly not working as expected, at least Mistral will not ship them.
I don't know why there is a problem. They have been flying the ECU for two years, so they must want to do some kind of updates. Sad really they have changed direction twice, and it sounds like they need to kill the engineer. I learned from an old mentor that a good part today is often better than a perfect part next year. They have been flying for a long time. They have never had an engine internal failure. They did have a muffler failure that caused a crash. Sad since they didn't build the muffler. They need a specific direction. They have had engines running for a long time, and the technology isn't new. They are using the Mazda dimensions. I don't think they are using the customer as a test bed, at least Mistral isn't. They are fitting the 3 rotor to a Maule for continued testing. I hope they get it together as their work has been beautiful on everything I've seen. I'd love to buy their PSRU but they aren't selling other than complete engine packages, no homebuilt sales at all.
Bill Jepson

Yes, it would be nice to see some Mistrals flying. I contacted them a year and a half ago, and they could sell me a two rotor then - for twice the price of a Lycoming O360 ;) The US$ is more favourable now (for European producers), but a Mistral would still be at least 50% more expensive. And it doesn't look like they are selling anything at the moment.

IMO the complexity of aircraft engines are underestimated. A lycoming is a 60-70 year old technology, and it is seemingly a simple design. But the thing is, it is a perfect design for it's purpose, and everything "simple" about it, is carefully thought through from the very beginning, and probably a zillion times more over the years.

It looks like Wankel technology is just too difficult. Even though it is old, there is probably only a handfull of engineers in the entire world today that really know this technology at a production/design level, and all of them are at Mazda. Without the recources and dedication that Mazda have, I think it will be very difficult to convert the engine to aviation and at the same time come anywhere near the level of optimal usability that the Lycomings have (impossible if we take total operational cost into consideration as well).

I think the only engine that could possibly be better than a Lycoming is an increased Rotax 912, 6 cylinder boxer with 3L volume (maybe V8 for 300 HP range). It has to be as simple as the 912 as well with 100% redundant CDI/mags and carb or mechanical FI and partly air partly liquid cooled. The closest thing is probably a Subaru, but those engines are modern automobile designs with huge and heavy cooling systems and ECUs.

I mean, if we look at successful aircraft engines today, we have Lycoming, Rotax and to a lesser extent the Jabiru. All have mags/CDI, all have carb/mechanical FI, all are air cooled or partly air cooled (Rotax), and all are designed from the ground up to be used exclusively on aicrafts. If Mistral really wanted to produce engines for the aviation industry, why not look at things that works, study them and find out why they are successful - and then design something at least remotely based on that?

The engine has arrived... Again

I am the danish guy, installing the 300HP three rotor mistral in my RV10.
signed a contract in late 2004, sp I have been patient. Very patient.

At the same time, they have been very good to me, and informed me of any issues.

I was never in doubt, that I wanted this engine. It's so nice, and I most definately knew that I didn't want a LYC. And there isn't really, any other alternatives. (For me)

There have been some issues with it, but now it's here. The complete package including ECU's.

It has been tested in Geneva, to 317HP. Without hickups.

The issues they have been facing are many. Everything should be solved now.

They don't want to use the experimental market as test bench, I can't go fly it until they have flown some hrs on their test aircraft. If something comes up in flight, they wan't to find it before I do.
It has also been thoroughly testet on the bench.
They don't anticipate anything, since they have made some changes to it.

The engine is quite expensive compared to a LYC, but you also have to take into account, that when buying a LYC or other "old" aviation engine, you also have to buy a firewall fwd package and other accesories.
You also have to make calculations regarding fuel saving's. I havn't done the math, but in denmark 100LL cost's around $8.50 /gal in other EU contries it's even more expensive, some places you can't even get it.
MOGAS is around $6.30/gal, the mistral engine accept's up to 15% ethanol in the fuel.

Let's assume, that the burn is 14 Gal/hr. I believe the wankel uses a little more than the LYC540. But just for the ease of calculation, let's assume it's the same.

That would give me a saving of around $31/hr. I guess I would be flying 100hrs a year. So every year I save around $3100 on fuel. So the difference in price is cheap

Numbers a greatfull, I'm just happy that my engine is here. And I look forward to fly it some time in march/ april.

Palle Olesen

Palle, Good luck with your build. Keep us informed of your progress.

do you have any pictures of the engine or installation?

Welcome to VAF

Welcome Palle....

....kindly keep us posted on your progress.

As a new -10 owner, I can assure you that you've made a wise choice in airplanes.

The best,

A snak preview

My camera is broken so I can't take any pic's at the moment, but here is one of the finished cowl.

Build around a mockup engine we borrowed from Switzerland.

Palle

paint4.jpg

Back