What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missouri Breaks

petehowell

Well Known Member
Andi and I are interested in flying part of the L&C Route through the Missouri Breaks this summer. Any tips, cautions, ideas appreciated.

Looking for places to camp with the plane, neat places to see, etc...

Thanks

L&c trip

Pete
Several years ago at Osh Kosh, there was a guy promoting a book about
flying the route by small plane. I do not know the authors name or book title,
but there were a bunch of photos in the book of things to see and do.

A google survey might find it.

Dale

Pete, are you flying the whole route to the Headwaters? Stop by Townsend(8u8) if so. Fort Benton has some good history. Not sure about the rest.

Here is a possible contact for the actual Breaks area.
June 13 - 15 ?Missouri Breaks camp out. June 14, Fly
out to Lewistown breakfast; June 15 breakfast at
Winifred Tavern; Ralph Rogers, 406-462-5487

Jay Pratt has spent some time in that area also.

Pete
Several years ago at Osh Kosh, there was a guy promoting a book about
flying the route by small plane. I do not know the authors name or book title,
but there were a bunch of photos in the book of things to see and do.

A google survey might find it.

Dale

Would that be this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Lewis...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390440157&sr=1-1

Mary Walker is a neighbor and flew in an Aircam to take some great pictures along the Lewis and Clark trail.

Just came back from their house, I can ask her some specific questions if you want.

Thanks Brian - I'm thinking we start in Willison and go low and slow to Fort Peck and Fort Benton. Then to Big Sky (via 8U8) to see my brother or up to Glacier to see the park.

The river sits under a MOA, so we need to make sure we understand the where and when of that animal.

I'l give Ralph a call - thank you!

Thanks Gil - I'll check out the book.

Pete, are you flying the whole route to the Headwaters? Stop by Townsend(8u8) if so. Fort Benton has some good history. Not sure about the rest.

Here is a possible contact for the actual Breaks area.
June 13 - 15 –Missouri Breaks camp out. June 14, Fly
out to Lewistown breakfast; June 15 breakfast at
Winifred Tavern; Ralph Rogers, 406-462-5487

Jay Pratt has spent some time in that area also.

We have flown down the river from Fort Benton to Fort Peck on a couple of occasions, and I highly recommend the trip. It is impressively desolate country between Fort Peck and Fort Benton. Perhaps the most sparsely populated area in the lower 48 states. Just one bridge crossing in what, 200 river miles? But several ferry crossings, how many of those of left in the U.S.? Stafford Ferry Crossing in the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument:

102144783.jpg

Very, very, beautiful country, and a place I would like to explore more too. I understand that there are a half-dozen supercub strips in this reach, but not much in the way of RV friendly landing strips. I really don't know what sort of shape the strips are in, it would be worth further investigation. Fort Benton is a good stop, courtesy car at the airport and a couple of museums in town. The Army Corps. has a visitors center at Fort Peck with a good aquarium and other interesting exhibits. Have fun, and report back to us if your research turns up any good back country strips in the Breaks.

A little more info...

Here is some more info on the strips:

http://theraf.org/mappage/40

A very well done trip blog - pretty much seals the deal for me..

http://www.pilotbill.com/Idaho10/IdahoTrip10.htm

Very, very, beautiful country, and a place I would like to explore more too. I understand that there are a half-dozen supercub strips in this reach, but not much in the way of RV friendly landing strips. I really don't know what sort of shape the strips are in, it would be worth further investigation. Fort Benton is a good stop, courtesy car at the airport and a couple of museums in town. The Army Corps. has a visitors center at Fort Peck with a good aquarium and other interesting exhibits. Have fun, and report back to us if your research turns up any good back country strips in the Breaks.

Back