What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Missing numbers" (RV-2, -5, -11) and Wikipedia

AirShowFan

Well Known Member
Patron
I was bored on a long train ride this past weekend, so I decided to update the Wikipedia article for the RV-11 (which was only two sentences long) and, while I was at it, to write an article about the RV-2 and - why not - one about the RV-5. I also drew side-views of the RV-2 and RV-11, based on Van's sketches, and added them to the articles.

All information comes from the following primary sources, which are worth checking out if you haven't already:
  • Van's terrific write-up of designing and building the RV-11, including some photos and lots of his sketches: Part 1, part 2, part 3.
  • YouTube video about the RV-5, including some fun stories.
  • Theater in the Woods presentation at Oshkosh 2022, where Van talks about the RV-2, RV-5, and RV-11 (and the other models too, 1 to 15), including some never-before-seen photos and sketches, starting around 1:47:20.
A couple of minor tidbits come from other sources, which are all listed at the bottom of each article.

Enjoy! The Wikipedia articles are super short and probably include fun facts that you didn't know or have forgotten. The videos and the RV-11 write-up are quite long, for those of you with time to dive deep.

Last edited:
The side-views, just for fun. I'm not the greatest artist or draftsman in the world, but they're better than nothing, right?

VanGrunsven_RV-2_glider.jpg

VanGrunsven_RV-11_motorglider,_side_view.jpg

What about the RV-13.... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, the "13" thing is a real pet peeve for me. Example; On a cruise ship don't people on deck 14 realize that they are actually on the 13th deck?

So, If you are building or flying an RV-14, GUESS WHAT!

Last edited:
Back