What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? misprint in plans page 17-02

jte65

Well Known Member
On page 17-02, my plans indicate to drill the #30 hole in W-1203-L to 3/16" for the tie down ring. This is not large enough as the threaded portion of the AEX tie down bracket on the spar was 3/8". Has anyone else who has already gotten to this section encountered this and know if this is a misprint? I sent a message to tech support late last night when my work was halted over the confusion on this but did not hear from them today.

thanks- maybe it was corrected?

I was wondering- I have a very early set of plans as mine were shipped ahead of my kit.

If Jerry is out there- interested in hearing what his plans say as he was a very early kit.

My wlng kit # is 38, and my plans also say to drill out to 3/8. This will give clearance for the wing tiedown eyebolt. Steve

#30 hole

On page 17-02, my plans indicate to drill the #30 hole in W-1203-L to 3/16" for the tie down ring. This is not large enough as the threaded portion of the AEX tie down bracket on the spar was 3/8". Has anyone else who has already gotten to this section encountered this and know if this is a misprint? I sent a message to tech support late last night when my work was halted over the confusion on this but did not hear from them today.

Yes, I noticed this also. I finally realized that Vans punched a #30 hole and I had to drill it out to 3/8 inch.

3/8"

My plans say 3/8 as well and I am wing kit #43. Did you use a high speed drill to drill this hole?

The best way to open up the hole to 3/8, is to use a couple of Unibits. Start with the #1 Unibit and transition to the #3 Unibit when the hole is large enough for the #3. This will keep the hole centered and make a nice clean 3/8 opening. Steve

Misprint

I found this glitch and reported it to Van's long ago and they have changed the plans. That is part of why I am the beta tester for the kit.

My plans say 3/8

I am customer 23 and my plans say to final drill 3/8 the #30 hole. I used a unibit step drill.
Joe

Thanks- maybe it was corrected?

I found this glitch and reported it to Van's long ago and they have changed the plans. That is part of why I am the beta tester for the kit.

Thanks. I talked to Van's and confirmed the typo I suspected. Looks like I received a set of plans printed before they corrected the glitch.

Back