What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mislocated Reinforcement Plates

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
So, I was extremely proud of my riveting job on my reinforcement plates (E-610PP and E-611-PP) to my elevator spars (E-702). However, today I realized that I put the plates on the wrong side of the spar.

I think I can easily overcome this error when positioning the rod end assemblies that will attach the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer. I think I can press on with this, and just note the "mistake" on my drawings. Does anyone see it differently? Do I need to drill out these rivets and redo them? The nutplates are on the correct side.

Thanks!

Michael

There are not that many rivets. Drill them out or your'll not going to sleep at night thinking about all the corrections later down the road.
Use a small drill then enlarge to the size of the drill so you don't oversize the rivet hole.
I had to drill out an entire line of rivets seemed like 50 of them on a flap... that I too was so proud of.... and while I was admiring the job realized that there was nothing to attach the flap to the aircraft with...... the hinge half was in my paint booth. :confused:

do it right... you'll be proud later.
Smilin' Jack

you have company

I know the feeling, i dont know why the blueprints cant come with the right wing pictured. That was my mistake the right wing... I drilled them out though no biggeee... I try to use a #30 in the very center of the rivet. I use a Makita 18V which will turn very slowly and then you can actually nail the center of the rivet better. After that i then chisel off the manufactured and then using a shaved 1/8 punch i begin to coax out the rivet shank. Often i use a smaller punch to complete the removal once the rivet begins to move. Good luck, and dont feel bad nice to know i have company on this mistake

Some things to consider if you leave them as is...

So, I was extremely proud of my riveting job on my reinforcement plates (E-610PP and E-611-PP) to my elevator spars (E-702). However, today I realized that I put the plates on the wrong side of the spar.

I think I can easily overcome this error when positioning the rod end assemblies that will attach the elevators to the horizontal stabilizer. I think I can press on with this, and just note the "mistake" on my drawings. Does anyone see it differently? Do I need to drill out these rivets and redo them? The nutplates are on the correct side.

Thanks!

Michael

First and foremost, if you don't get the answers you are looking for on the forum then call Vans and discuss it with them. The only things that I can think of that you may need to consider if you leave them the way they are now are:

1. You may end up with the jam nut being very close to the end of the threads on the rod end bearings since the thickness of the support plate is now on the front side of the spar.
2. It may be more difficult to determine the proper length of the rod end bearing when fitting the elevators on the HS, which is measured from the front face of the forward spar per the plans, and NOT from the support plate.

As such, I would agree with the others to drill out the rivets, and place the support brackets on the correct side of the spar. To drill them out, I recommend using a universal rivet removal tool. Takes the guess work out of finding the center of the rivet head and makes removing these rivets much easier. The tool is a bit pricy at $40.00-$45.00, but it has paid for itself fairly quickly IMHO by preventing damaged parts from misdrilled holes.

Get er done and build on....

To help visualize the relationships of parts on the wing or any other part that has only one shown, and the other is a mirror image, you can either:
Photograph the left wing plan, and print it as a mirror image (cheapest); or
Take the plan to LDI or similar blueprint shop, and have it scanned and reprinted in mirror image. A little more expensive, but a larger, sharper print.

The first worked for me, since I have an 11 x 17 printer in my office, and it was used only to help visualize relationships; all details and notes still came from the original plan, since the text on the copy is all backwards.

Back