What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mislabeled Wing Ribs?

bob865

Well Known Member
So I finally finished all of the control surfaces and got back to the wing. I put up the wing stand this weekend and even though I haven't straightened flanges or fluted any of the ribs, I wanted to put it together to see it start to take shape. The problem I see is the W-711 seem to be mis-labeled. I started working on the right side because that is what I happened to grab first, even though the drawings show the left wing. For the right, I'm used to seeing parts "reverse" for L and R parts. i.e. the W-712-R for the wingtip of the left wing is a W-712-L for the right wing. This worked to keep the flanges facing the same direction (but mirrored) for the right wing. The problem came to the W-711s. If I did this with them, they would be reverse. I put up the Left spar and found the same thing. Everything matched except the W-711s were reversed from L to R. I assume it's just a L and R mismatch from Vans.

What I assembled matches the drawings so I'm not sure if I'm telling the community or asking a question. :) I will say my wings delivered during the biggest part of the delivery issues from Vans and this isn't the first mislabeled part I've found in the kit. :confused:

Maybe I'm just excited to see the wings starting to take shape!

Attachments

• PXL_20230618_210232792.jpg
    PXL_20230618_210232792.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 118
Ribs

So I finally finished all of the control surfaces and got back to the wing. I put up the wing stand this weekend and even though I haven't straightened flanges or fluted any of the ribs, I wanted to put it together to see it start to take shape. The problem I see is the W-711 seem to be mis-labeled. I started working on the right side because that is what I happened to grab first, even though the drawings show the left wing. For the right, I'm used to seeing parts "reverse" for L and R parts. i.e. the W-712-R for the wingtip of the left wing is a W-712-L for the right wing. This worked to keep the flanges facing the same direction (but mirrored) for the right wing. The problem came to the W-711s. If I did this with them, they would be reverse. I put up the Left spar and found the same thing. Everything matched except the W-711s were reversed from L to R. I assume it's just a L and R mismatch from Vans.

What I assembled matches the drawings so I'm not sure if I'm telling the community or asking a question. :) I will say my wings delivered during the biggest part of the delivery issues from Vans and this isn't the first mislabeled part I've found in the kit. :confused:

Maybe I'm just excited to see the wings starting to take shape!

Without looking at my plans. The rib letters refer to the direction the flange faces. There are ribs labeled "R" on the left wing and vice versa.

Adam

Here is the breakdown. 14 ribs per wing in different flavors. Layout the left wing first as you have a giant picture showing the orientation and we can eliminate those right off the bat.
The 712 rib is easy to identify. It has only one tooling hole near the large front flange. Grab all 6 and put aside.

All the rest of the ribs are 711s with the only 2 exceptions 710s. These are easy to identify as they have 2 holes near front rib flange and are 032 not 025 thickness. Put those aside.

Now grab the 711s and start matching the drawing of the (left wing)....I know I know you grabbed the others first but do the left wing layout first.

Now you have a pile of 711s to mirror for the right wing. Get back to me and let me know how this worked out.

All the best.

Arnie

I had a strange thing happen when building my RV-6As. One night I was working on flutiing the ribs and I happen to pick up the end take ribs and noticed they were different weights. Turns out the material thickness was too thin on one of the ribs. A quick call to vans and I had a replacement rib on the way. ‘Course that was probably 25 years ago. Marty

RV-8A ribs

Just beginning the wing rib work on my 8 as well. My main ribs had a sticker on both sides, labeled left on one side and right on the other. Not sure if that was purpose, Anyway I removed the label that didn’t match the direction per the plan directions for the flange and kept the one that did. They will be coming off anyway as I prep for priming. Kinda of a pain to keep them in order of placement?

Can you post more of your wing stands, ends and bracket?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just beginning the wing rib work on my 8 as well. My main ribs had a sticker on both sides, labeled left on one side and right on the other. Not sure if that was purpose, Anyway I removed the label that didn’t match the direction per the plan directions for the flange and kept the one that did. They will be coming off anyway as I prep for priming. Kinda of a pain to keep them in order of placement?

Can you post more of your wing stands, ends and bracket?

Thanks!

Right now they are just laying up there. I was short of time and just wanted to see it look "wingy." I can share more when I get them up there to actually build.

Back