What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the tallest of them all?

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the tallest of them all?

I'm 6'5" and I want to build an RV-7. As I understand it, the plane is already designed to have a seat lower than some previous models, and a thin seat cushion can help as well. As a motorcyclist who feels more comfortable in a helmet than not in a helmet, I like the idea of wearing a helmet while flying a homebuilt airplane.

Who out there is wicked tall, wears a helmet, and flies an RV-7?

On a related note, what kind of helmet do you wear?

You'll probably fit just fine. I'm 6' and I like to be as high up in the cockpit as I can get so I've had to move my seat way forward. I sit with about an inch between the top of my head and the canopy. The leg room won't be a problem.

I don't know about the helmet, but I imagine that you'd be constantly bumping against the canopy and it'd be really annoying.

I cannot comment about how you will fit in the airplane but am wondering why you want an airplane you do not trust enough to go helmet less. I ride a motorcycle quite a bit (with a helmet) but the helmet is more because I am afraid of the car and truck folks. Not because I am afraid the bike will fail me.
I am just curious mind you, everyone has to do what they think is best.

Go find a local RV-7 and sit in it with your helmet on and see how it fits. I'm only 6'3" but my sitting height is very tall. I barely squeezed in under the maximum at my initial flight physical. Before I purchased my preview plans, I sat in one to check the headroom. It was fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Wearing a helmet isn't about not trusting the airplane. It's a recognition of the fact that, if I take a bad bump or I get knocked in the head somehow, I may be unable to operate the airplane, and what might have just been a bad bird strike or a bout of really rough turbulence could instead be a crash and a fatality. And also the fact that if you don't suffer any head injuries in a crash then you're a lot more likely to survive. A helmet won't make you invincible, but it sure improves your odds of coming out OK, in any number of possible midair events.

My biggest concern is scratching the canopy and or cracking it if you hit it. I know I almost knocked myself out by hitting the canopy once(keep the belts tight) and wonder if I wouldn't have damaged it had I had a helmet on.
I've got a surplus SPH4 that I use. I had to change out the internals to work with GA but I like it. It keeps the sun off, keeps the noise down, and the tinted shield is great.

Yeah. The canopy concern is legitimate, but if I'm hitting it hard enough to damage it, I'd rather protect my head and know that I'll still be able to fly than protect the canopy.

Nowadays I always cinch my bent down tight, but I've had a number of occasions in turbulence where I've bumped my head. And none of those were in extreme conditions. If I can fit a helmet on under the canopy, then I'm inclined to wear one.

Back