What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimum workshop size?

H_Pham

I currently own and fly a Cessna 152. I'm thinking about building an RV-12 when I retire in 3 yrs. I have a one-car garage. If I clear everything out, there's a 20'x10' area, and a 10'x4' area that can be used for the compressor. Is it possible to build an RV-12 with only that much space? My hangar can be used for the final assembly, but not the early stages because it doesn't have heat, light, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

You can build in almost any space you are willing to.
A single car garage is plenty. I built 2 RV-6s side by side in a 2 car garage. I had to get creative for storage, but you will have plenty of building space.

Welcome to VAF

Storage of construction parts, and finished parts is the only issue I see, but I'm sure you can figure something out. Marty S is storing finished parts in his living room and bedroom! Don't ask me how I know that. :eek:

I think the overall dimensions might be an issue down the road working in the garage, but I'm sure at some point during nice weather you can move to the hanger.

You'll figure it out. Actually, that is the fun part.

Last edited:
Storing finished parts

If the finished parts aren't needed soon for connecting with other parts, I guess I can haul them to the hangar (5 miles away) for storing.

If the finished parts aren't needed soon for connecting with other parts, I guess I can haul them to the hangar (5 miles away) for storing.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Good luck, and don't be a stranger.

....and don't be a stranger.

I don't have anything to contribute right now, so I'll just read the forum and learn. When you have your 12 finished, I'll ask to come up and see it. Lincoln is just a short flight from Topeka.

I don't have anything to contribute right now, so I'll just read the forum and learn. When you have your 12 finished, I'll ask to come up and see it. Lincoln is just a short flight from Topeka.

When I get it finished I'll come and see you! ;)

What is the third dimension requirements for a workshop

Looking at the RV-12 Specs page, it seems the tailfeathers stand 8'4" tall. This seems rather extreme--definitely taller than that of an Archer. Is it really that tall? My garage ceiling is barely that tall. Does anyone have their RV-12 on the gear with empanage installed? How tall is it really?

Size matters...

We're building our 12 in a 22X24 garage and we do a bit of 'dancing' to get around, but that may be to space management. In terms of heighth of the plane, my ceiling is right at 8', so we may have to tilt the plane back in order to complete construction; after that, we're moving it to a hangar.
Welcome to the forum!!
Meade and George
(Our Finish kit is arriving this afternoon via Partain shipping...finally!!)

Even in living rooms...

....when there is no shop:D

circa 1973

BuildingCassutt.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Back