What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimum Compressor

Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm looking to pick up a small compressor for the hangar so I don't want to spend a bunch of bucks. The requirement is to just drive short duration use for the typical air tools and the smaller compressors put out about 4 CFM @ 90 PSI. For those using a smaller compressor, is this going to be enough? I hate to lug my big compressor back and forth to the hangar every weekend.

Jim

Jim,

I know a guy who built a slow-build -10 with his pankcake compressor. So size may not matter that much if you do all of your drilling with a cordless drill.

Hey Jim-

I built my entire empennage with the following compressor:

tools_compressor.JPG

It was rated 1.5 HP, 2.5 Gallon and 4.1 CFM @ 90 PSI. I wouldn't run a die grinder on it, but everything else it worked well for (drillin', paintin', squeezin', etc..).

Unless you plan on painting, it'll do. You may have to wait with a few tools, but very seldom. That's what I used, and N908BL flies as well as if I had used a 10hp compressor!

There. I confessed. I DIDN'T buy a big compressor. I feel so much better...

Bob Kelly

I would say you could even paint/prime with that one, and run a die grinder as well - but only in short 20-30 seconds bursts and then wait for the compressor to catch up. High volume air tools (die grinder, paint sprayer) need the bulk volume to operate, so the tank volume is your friend in this case. Then all you have to do is be patient while the compressor catches up.

Back