What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimizing Fuel Loss during tunnel work

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I need to remove my boost pump from the tunnel and was wondering what others have done to minimize the amount of fuel that will be spilt when servicing the line in the tunnel. Will having a closed throttle provide enough of a vacuum (like a thumb on the top of a straw) to prevent the fuel from the engine side from sliding down hill and running out? Obviously turning off the fuel selector is required, but anything else that helps keep the mess down?

I use a disposable diaper to catch any spill when removing either the fuel or oil filters, boost pump, etc. Works great.

Jim Berry
RV-10

As the aircraft gets older, do you have to change sizes? - 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-12 months............ :D

Seriously, good idea.

Close fuel valve, disconnect fuel line at the servo or carb, place catch can or something to catch the fuel, run the boost pump until it empties out the line.
You can hear when the line is empty by the noise of the pump.
There is usually a minor amount that gets trapped in the filter housing but easily absorbed with a shop towel.

Thanks, in this case, the pump is bad, so no way to pump it out.

If your in a position you can run your engine, run it and then close your fuel. It will run until it gets starved. That should leave only a small amount of fuel left in the system. If you can't run it, remove the line from the servo and lower it as far as you can and gravity will get some of the fuel out of the line.
Otherwise, diaper up!

Diaper a good idea. Bigger question, still related... when, if at all, are there any required inspections or servicing of the facet boost pumps? The literature that came with the facet boost pump recommends checking the 74 micron filter that the manufacturer recommends installing upstream of the pump, but since Van's doesn't recommend such a filter, is there anything left to inspect?

Not a big deal

A few paper towels are enough, just did it myself last week. Didn't do anything special to pre-drain, just closed fuel valve and started at it.

I think Jim also uses those diapers to clean his hangar. Man that place is spotless.

Dwight

Close fuel valve, disconnect fuel line at the servo or carb, place catch can or something to catch the fuel, run the boost pump until it empties out the line.
You can hear when the line is empty by the noise of the pump.

As I recall, Airflow Perf was pretty adamant about not running the pump without fuel------so if you do the above, be ready on the boost pump switch to turn it off ASAP when the pitch changes.

Dont know if this is an issue with the Facet or other pumps.

As I recall, Airflow Perf was pretty adamant about not running the pump without fuel------so if you do the above, be ready on the boost pump switch to turn it off ASAP when the pitch changes.

Dont know if this is an issue with the Facet or other pumps.

I am sure it would eventually burn the motor out if left on for any length of time dry. I can not imagine it can't handle a few seconds every once in a while. I wouldn't be the first person to have turned on my boost pump by accident with the fuel valve closed I am sure. It is very evident by the change in pitch of the sound of the motor.
Still point well taken.

Back