What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MILESTONE!

FredMagare

Well Known Member
I've just completed my RV-9 empenage!

magareempcc8.jpg

I was so motivated that I spent several hours unpacking the wing crates. I can hardly wait to begin the wings! Are there any suggestions on where to begin? I've been thinking I should start with the ailerons and flaps as they seem very similar to the rudder and elevators.

Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net
RV-9A WINGS!

Last edited:
I went ahead and built the left wing (I deburred the ribs for both wings at one time), then built the flaps and ailerons, then built the right wing. A lot of folks have built both wings at once, I didn't have enough space to do that.

Congrats!

My opinion on building the flaps/ailerons right now: they are a good amount of work, so if you're tired of building small little control surfaces like I was, build the wings first!

I don't think there's much advantage, skill-wise, either way. Build in whichever order you think will keep your motivation highest.

Fred,

Looking good, I im waiting on the practice kits..on order and getting my tools now. I base my 177 at HYI would like to come by and see your project sometime..

Nice Finish Work

Fred,
Nice work. What I like about your photo is that when you said you were done with the emp...you mean really done. Most builders leave the fiberglass tips until there is nothing else left. I like your style. Work until it is really done.
Congratulations.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV9-A 942WG (reserved) slider w/O-235
RV9-A 942PT (reserved) tip-up w/)-320

Well Done and looks very good, including the fiberglass work...

I did my ailerons and flaps first, before tackling the bigger main wing structure. If you need a bit more practise those parts are small and easy/cheap to replace in case of an error. The main wings are boring work, a lot of repetitive, on a large structure. It is up to you.

Regards, good luck
Rudi

Absolutely Marvelous!

Fred-

Looks great, I see you are rolling right along. We will be having our RV Dinner in a few weeks (25th) so put it on your calender.

-Jeff

Getting together.

c177tx said:
Fred,

Looking good, I im waiting on the practice kits..on order and getting my tools now. I base my 177 at HYI would like to come by and see your project sometime..
Garri, email me to set-up a day/time. I've stored the empennage but might be amenable to pulling some parts down. I've got ideas on how I'd do things differently, if you're interested. Otherwise, it may be better to come by when I've started working on the wings. :rolleyes:

RV_7A said:
Looks great, I see you are rolling right along. We will be having our RV Dinner in a few weeks (25th) so put it on your calender.
Jeff - the 25th? I'll be there! (Where?) Email the particulars, please. I'm looking forward to meeting other RV-ers from the area! (And just think, I'd not have this opportunity if you hadn't "stalked" me on the freeway. :D )

Fred Magare
magaref "at" hayscisd.net

Last edited:
Back