What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

milestone...kinda

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
While I'm a long way from being done, I felt I reached a little milestone today. I had saved the box my finish kit came in, using it to keep my canopy and other fiberglass parts safe. Well today as I started on the gearleg fairings and wheel pants, I noticed...it's empty!

RV-7build233.jpg

ok enough jubilation....back to sanding.

Not sure what I'm doing, but thought I would try to do the minimum screws on the VS fairing. here's the second fitting.
RV-7build234.jpg

also doing the wrap underneath instead of the AL with rubber strip. Still have some thinning and profiling to do.
RV-7build235.jpg

Like I said I don't know what I'm doing but seems to be working.

thanks, Bob

Just gotta' keep moving forward. I've noticed there are plenty of things to keep me busy while I wait to harvest my money tree.

Brian,

Congratulations. Im a long ways from where you are today but I was wondering if you had to lay up the fairing or does Vans sell a fairing like yours.

Thanks,

RE:Inch

Hi Brian

Inch by inch everthings a cinch.................Geart FG work on you VS/HS fairing. Where did you get such a great idea!!!!:D Isn't it just so much fun to empty the big ole Van's box.

Frank @ 1L8 & SGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

don't know what your doing???????

For someone that doesn't know what he is doing, It sure looks like you are doing a great job.....If you want some more pratice just stop by. LOL

Rich

.... Where did you get such a great idea!!!!:D.........Frank @ 1L8 & SGU ...RV7A... Phase 1

Over the last 3 yrs I've taken probably 500 pictures and visited as many RV's as I could(never been to OSH). During this time I remember a couple, more than the others. ;) thanks for the visit

I'm a lone builder. I've had help riveting once. My wife helped me move the wings once. My 8yr old grandson helps once in a while. VAF has helped me more than anyone else. VAF is how I found builders to visit like yourself, or Don in Twin Falls, or Bob & Bill in Oregon, and many others I picked the brains of remotely.

VAF makes it so easy even a caveman can do it, I'm living proof.

Looks Great

Brian, Just thought i'd let you know I just went and got my finish kit from Vans, so I've got the full box. Looking forward to the day its empty. Engine and prop ordering next.

Jerry Turner
RV-9A
Emmpanage - Done
Wings - Done
Fuselage - Just about

Over the last 3 yrs I've taken probably 500 pictures and visited as many RV's as I could(never been to OSH). During this time I remember a couple, more than the others. ;) thanks for the visit

I'm a lone builder. I've had help riveting once. My wife helped me move the wings once. My 8yr old grandson helps once in a while. VAF has helped me more than anyone else. VAF is how I found builders to visit like yourself, or Don in Twin Falls, or Bob & Bill in Oregon, and many others I picked the brains of remotely.

VAF makes it so easy even a caveman can do it, I'm living proof.

I can relate to the lone builder part. My brother keeps his 9A in my hangar. I live on a private airpark and have a 60 X 72 hangar (plenty of room). He moved his airplane to my hangar (rent free) to finish it up. We "ganged up" on his plane to get it finished then we were going to get my -10 done. What kind of irks me is he just flat refuses to help me, says "I built mine by myself". He'll help some, once in a while but it's like OK, what do you need help with? I told Matthew (his son) we'd go motorcycle riding today, or what ever. Yeh, I fly his airplane whenever I want to, don't ask, just go. But a little help would go a long way. I do have neighbors that have built or are building that are willing to help, they've told me so, but it's not really the same.
My wife and daughters will drop anything they're doing and help me when I ask them. My 14 yr old will just come out to watch and talk sometimes.;) The other one (20) is in college 80 miles away, but when whe's home, she'll come out too.
Anyway, sorry for the whinning, but it felt good.:)

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

Back