What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milestone (for me anyway) Tanks test leak free

JohnR

Well Known Member
Well I finally got everything closed on my tanks this week. This morning I decided that today was the day. I built a manometer and connected to each tank and added some water with green food coloring in it so it is easier to see. After an initial scare on each one where I didn't have the test connection fitting tight enough it settled in and I marked it at 10:30 AM. I kept checking it off and on all day as I did several things on the "honey do list". Well it has been over 12 hours and the water columns as seen in the photo both went up about an inch. The shop when the photo was taken was 2 degrees warmer than it was when I marked the columns so that counts for the rise.

I realize it isn't to exciting for anyone else but it sure made my day. It is nice to have that behind me!

tanktest.jpg

I know the feeling. I did the same thing a few months ago. I use the exact setup, including the green food coloring.

What is the delta on the manometer? 24"?

FP14072006A0000E.jpg

Last edited:
Alton, I was shooting for 24 and ended up with 25 on one tank and 22 on the other one I figured that was close enogh for what I was doing. They are still looking good this afternoon so guess it is time to put them on the wing. :)

Hi John,

Don't downplay the significance of finishing the tanks. It is a nasty job that will not be repeated. There will only be the pin holes in the fiberglass.

Tom Caruthers
RV-7A N175TJ 50+ hours
Mount Vernon, IA

Tom, now I figure I can get you to stop down and help as all the proseal stuff is done on the tanks! ;) With Luke gone things are moving slower but still moving at least. Maybe I'll see you at the EAA meeting next Saturday at Marion. Hopefully I can make it.

Back